Reliable Evidence: Auditability by Typing
Many protocols rely on audit trails to allow an impartial judge to verify a posteriori some property of a protocol run. However, in current practice the choice of what data to log is left to the programmer’s intuition, and there is no guarantee that it constitutes enough evidence. We give a precise definition of auditability and we show how typechecking can be used to statically verify that a protocol always logs enough evidence. We apply our approach to several examples, including a full-scale auction-like protocol programmed in ML.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [BBF+08]Bengtson, J., Bhargavan, K., Fournet, C., Gordon, A.D., Maffeis, S.: Refinement types for secure implementations. In: IEEE Computer Security Foundations Symposium, pp. 17–32 (2008)Google Scholar
- [BFG08]Bhargavan, K., Fournet, C., Gordon, A.D.: F7: Refinement types for F#. version 1.0 (2008), http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/projects/F7/
- [BL01]Baughman, N.E., Levine, B.N.: Cheat-proof playout for centralized and distributed online games. In: 20th Annual Joint Conference of the IEEE Computer and Communications Societies, vol.1 (2001)Google Scholar
- [FGM07]Fournet, C., Gordon, A., Maffeis, S.: A Type Discipline for Authorization in Distributed Systems. In: IEEE Computer Security Foundations Symposium, pp. 31–48 (2007)Google Scholar
- [HSW07]Hasan, R., Sion, R., Winslett, M.: Introducing secure provenance: problems and challenges. StorageSS (2007)Google Scholar
- [ISO04]ISO/IEC. Common criteria for information technology security evaluation (2004)Google Scholar
- [JVM+08]Jia, L., Vaughan, J.A., Mazurak, K., Zhao, J., Zarko, L., Schorr, J., Zdancewic, S.: AURA: a programming language for authorization and audit. In: ICFP, pp. 27–38 (2008)Google Scholar
- [Pub96]NIST Special Publications. Generally accepted principles and practices for securing information technology systems (September 1996)Google Scholar
- [Roe97]Roe, M.: Cryptography and evidence. PhD thesis, University of Cambridge (1997)Google Scholar
- [VJMZ08]Vaughan, J.A., Jia, L., Mazurak, K., Zdancewic, S.: Evidence-based audit. In: IEEE Computer Security Foundations Symposium, pp. 177–191 (2008)Google Scholar