First Digit Law and Its Application to Digital Forensics
Digital data forensics, which gathers evidence of data composition, origin, and history, is crucial in our digital world. Although this new research field is still in its infancy stage, it has started to attract increasing attention from the multimedia-security research community. This lecture addresses the first digit law and its applications to digital forensics. First, the Benford and generalized Benford laws, referred to as first digit law, are introduced. Then, the application of first digit law to detection of JPEG compression history for a given BMP image and detection of double JPEG compressions are presented. Finally, applying first digit law to detection of double MPEG video compressions is discussed. It is expected that the first digit law may play an active role in other task of digital forensics. The lesson learned is that statistical models play an important role in digital forensics and for a specific forensic task different models may provide different performance.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 4.Nigrini, M.: The detection of income evasion through an analysis of digital distributions. Ph.D Thesis, Department of Accounting, University of Cincinatti (1992)Google Scholar
- 5.Durtschi, C., Hillison, W., Pacini, C.: The effective use of Benford’s law to assist in detecting fraud in accounting data. Journal of Forensic Accounting V, 17–34 (2004)Google Scholar
- 6.Fu, D., Shi, Y.Q., Su, W.: A generalized Benford’s law for JPEG coefficients and its applications in image forensics. In: SPIE Electronic Imaging: Security, Steganography, and Watermarking of Multimedia Contents, San Jose, CA, USA (January 2007)Google Scholar
- 7.Schaefer, G., Stich, M.: UCID - An Uncompressed Colour Image Database. Technical Report, School of Computing and Mathematics, Nottingham Trent University, U.K (2003)Google Scholar
- 9.Fan, Z., Queiroz, R.L.: Identification of bitmap compression history: JPEG detection and quantizer estimation. IEEE Transaction on Image Processing 12(2) (February 2003)Google Scholar
- 10.Popescu, A.: Statistical tools for digital image forensics., Ph. D. thesis, Dartmouth College (December 2004)Google Scholar
- 11.Lukas, J., Fridrich, J.: Estimation of primary quantization matrix in double compressed JPEG images. In: Proc. of DFRWS 2003, Cleveland, OH, USA, August 5-8 (2003)Google Scholar
- 12.Li, B., Shi, Y.Q., Huang, J.: Detecting double compressed JPEG Image by using mode based first digit features. In: IEEE International Workshop on Multi-media Signal Processing, MMSP 2008, Queensland, Australia (October 2008)Google Scholar
- 13.Wang, W.H., Farid, H.: Exposing digital forgeries in video by detecting double MPEG compression. In: ACM Multimedia and Security Workshop, Geneva, Switzerland (2006)Google Scholar
- 14.Chen, W., Shi, Y.Q.: Detection of double MPEG video compression using first digits statistics. In: International Workshop on Digital Watermarking (IWDW 2008), Busan, Korea (November 2008)Google Scholar