On the Performance of Wavelet Decomposition Steganalysis with JSteg Steganography
In this paper, we study the wavelet decomposition based steganalysis technique due to Lyu and Farid. Specifically we focus on its performance with JSteg steganograpy. It has been claimed that the Lyu-Farid technique can defeat JSteg; we confirm this using different images for the training and test sets of the SVM classifier. We also show that the technique heavily depends on the characteristics of training and test set. This is a problem for real-world implementation since the image source cannot necessarily be determined. With a wide range of image sources, training the classifier becomes problematic. By focusing only on different camera makes we show that steganalysis performances significantly less effective for cover images from certain sources.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Westfeld, A., Pfitzmann, A.: Attacks on steganographic systems. In: IHW 1999 (1999)Google Scholar
- 2.Bhattacharyya, G.K., Johnson, R.A.: Statistical Concepts and Methods. Wiley, Chichester (1977)Google Scholar
- 4.Farid, H.: Detecting hidden messages using higher-order statistical models. In: International Conference on Image Processing, Rochester, NY (2002)Google Scholar
- 5.Fridrich, J., Pevný, T., Kodovský, J.: Statistically undetectable jpeg steganography: dead ends challenges, and opportunities. In: MM&Sec 2007: Proceedings of the 9th workshop on Multimedia & security, pp. 3–14. ACM, New York (2007)Google Scholar
- 7.Greenspun, P.: Philip greenspun’s home page (2008), http://philip.greenspun.com/
- 8.Hsu, C.W., Chang, C.C., Lin, C.J.: A practical guide to support vector classification. Technical report, Taipei (March 2008), http://www.csie.ntu.edu.tw/~cjlin/papers/guide/guide.pdf
- 10.Kharrazi, M., Sencar, H.T., Memon, N.: Performance study of common image steganography and steganalysis techniques. Journal of Electronic Imaging 15(4) (2006)Google Scholar
- 14.Noble, W.S., Pavlidis, P.: Gist:support vector machine, http://svm.nbcr.net/cgi-bin/nph-SVMsubmit.cgi
- 15.Provos, N., Honeyman, P.: Detecting steganographic content on the internet. CITI Technical Report, pp. 01–11 (2001)Google Scholar
- 16.Strang, G., Nguyen, T.: Wavelets and Filter Banks. Wellesley-Cambridge Press (1996)Google Scholar
- 17.Upham, D.: Jpeg-jsteg-v4, http://www.nic.funet.fi/pub/crypt/steganography