Classification Results of Artificial Neural Networks for Alzheimer’s Disease Detection
Detection of Alzheimer’s disease on brain Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) is a highly sought goal in the Neurosciences. We used four different models of Artificial Neural Networks (ANN): Backpropagation (BP), Radial Basis Networks (RBF), Learning Vector Quantization Networks (LVQ) and Probabilistic Neural Networks (PNN) to perform classification of patients of mild Alzheimer’s disease vs. control subjects. Features are extracted from the brain volume data using Voxel-based Morphometry (VBM) detection clusters. The voxel location detection clusters given by the VBM were applied to select the voxel values upon which the classification features were computed. We have evaluated feature vectors computed from the GM segmentation volumes using the VBM clusters as voxel selection masks. The study has been performed on MRI volumes of 98 females, after careful demographic selection from the Open Access Series of Imaging Studies (OASIS) database, which is a large number of subjects compared to current reported studies.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 8.García-Sebastián, M., Savio, A., Graña, M., Villanúa, J.: On the use of morphometry based features for Alzheimer’s disease detection on MRI. In: Omatu, S., Rocha, M.P., Bravo, J., Fernandez, F., Corchado, E., Bustillo, A., Corchado, J.M. (eds.) IWANN 2009. LNCS, vol. 5518, pp. 957–964. Springer, Heidelberg (2009)Google Scholar
- 9.Hagan, M.T., Demuth, H.B., Beale, M.H.: Neural Network Design, Har/Dsk edition. PWS Pub. Co. (December 1995)Google Scholar
- 11.Huang, C., Yan, B., Jiang, H., Wang, D.: Combining voxel-based morphometry with artifical neural network theory in the application research of diagnosing alzheimer’s disease, May 2008, vol. 1, pp. 250–254 (2008)Google Scholar
- 15.Liu, Y., Teverovskiy, L., Carmichael, O., Kikinis, R., Shenton, M., Carter, C.S., Stenger, V.A., Davis, S., Aizenstein, H., Becker, J.T.: Discriminative MR image feature analysis for automatic schizophrenia and alzheimer’s disease classification. In: Barillot, C., Haynor, D.R., Hellier, P. (eds.) MICCAI 2004. LNCS, vol. 3216, pp. 393–401. Springer, Heidelberg (2004)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 17.Rumelhart, D.E., Hinton, G.E., Williams, R.J.: Learning internal representations by error propagation, pp. 318–362. MIT Press, Cambridge (1986)Google Scholar