A Soft Discretization Technique for Fuzzy Decision Trees Using Resampling
Decision trees generate classifiers from training data through a process of recursively splitting the data space. In the case of training on continuous-valued data, the associated attributes must be discretized into several intervals using a set of crisp cut points. One drawback of decision trees is their instability, i.e., small data deviations may require a significant reconstruction of the decision tree. Here, we present a novel soft decision tree method that uses soft of fuzzy discretization instead of traditional crisp cuts. We use a resampling based technique to generate soft discretization points and demonstrate the advantages of using our resampling based soft discretization over traditional crisp methods.
KeywordsCrisp discretization resampling fuzzy discretization
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Quinlan, J.R.: Decision Trees and Decision Making. IEEE Transactions on System, Man and Cybernetic, 339–346 (1990)Google Scholar
- 3.Quinlan, J.R.: C4.5: Programs for Machine Learning. M. Kaufmann, SanMateo (1993)Google Scholar
- 4.Kerber, R.: Discretization of Numeric Attributes. In: Proceedings of the Tenth National Conference on Artificial Intelligence, pp. 123–128. MIT Press, Cambridge (1990)Google Scholar
- 5.Fayyad, U.M., Irani, K.: Multi-interval Discretization of Continuous-Valued Attributes for Classification Learning. In: Proceedings of the 13th International Joint Conference on Artificial Intelligence, pp. 1022–1027. Morgan Kaufmann, San Mateo (1993)Google Scholar
- 7.Blake, C.L., Merz, C.J.: UCI Repository of machine learning databases. Irvine, CA: University of California, Department of Information and Computer Science (1998), http://www.ics.uci.edu/~mlearn/MLRepository.html
- 8.Zadeh, L.A.: Fuzzy Sets as a bases for a Theory of Possibility. Fuzzy Sets and Systems, 3–28 (1978)Google Scholar
- 10.Ramdani, M.: System d’Induction Formelle a base de Connaissanses Impresises. These de l’universite P et M Curie, rapport 94/1, LAFORIA IBP (1994)Google Scholar
- 11.Wang, T., Zhoujun, L., Yuejin, Y., Huowang, C.: A Survey of Fuzzy Decision Tree Classifier Methodology. In: ICFIE, pp. 959–968 (2007)Google Scholar
- 16.Murthy, S.K., Kasif, S., Salzberg, S.: A System for Induction of Oblique Decision Trees. Journal of AI Research (1994)Google Scholar