Fuzzy Query Model for XML Documents
To address the needs of a wider user group than professionals and to increase the accessibility to shared XML documents, this paper presents a system with a GUI query builder which generates XQuery statements that support for both strict and fuzzy qualifiers. Our motivation is the fact that XML is rapidly becoming the format of choice to contain information for both storage and transfer. Consequently, as more information is contained in XML there is a need to develop a way for non-technical users to query for information contained in XML documents. In this sense, the human language can be vague in describing queries and hence incorporating fuzziness in the GUI would be more appropriate. This is especially true when we think of naive users who are not expected to understand structured query languages. A user can comfortably specify a query in simple terms and the developed intermediate layer is responsible to hide the details of the transformation process from the user. The target is a two-fold approach that satisfies the user the best and use XQuery to access the XML documents at the back end.
KeywordsFuzzy Logic Structured Databases XML Documents XQuery Java GUI
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Alhajj, R., Guarav, A.: Incorporating Fuzziness in XML and Mapping Fuzzy Relational Data into Fuzzy XML. In: Proc. of ACM SAC (2005)Google Scholar
- 2.Bray, T., Paoli, J., Sperberg-McQueen, C., et al.: Extensible Markup Language (XML) 1.0. W3C Recommendation 6 (2000)Google Scholar
- 3.Lo, A., Kianmehr, K., Özyer, T., Kaya, M., Alhajj, R.: Wrapping VRXQuery with Self-Adaptive Fuzzy Capabilities. In: Proc. of IEEE WI (November 2007)Google Scholar
- 6.Lo, A., Alhajj, R., Barker, K.: VIREX: Interactive Approach for Database Querying and Integration by Re-engineering Relational Data into XML. In: Proc. of IEEE WI, Hong Kong (2006)Google Scholar
- 7.Kacprzyk, J.: Fuzzy Logic in DBMSs and Querying. Systems Research Institute, Polish Academy of Sciences (1995)Google Scholar
- 8.Kacprzyk, J., Zadronzy, S.: Fuzzy Queries Against a Crisp Database Over the Internet: An Implementation. In: Proc. of Int. Conf. Knowledge-Based Intelligent Engineering Systems and Allied Technologies (2000)Google Scholar