Spherical Harmonics and Distance Transform for Image Representation and Retrieval
In this paper, we have proposed a method for 2D image retrieval based on object shapes. The method relies on transforming the 2D images into 3D space based on distance transform. Spherical harmonics are obtained for the 3D data and used as descriptors for the underlying 2D images. The proposed method is compared against two existing methods which use spherical harmonics for shape based retrieval of images. MPEG-7 Still Images Content Set is used for performing experiments; this dataset consists of 3621 still images. Experimental results show that the performance of the proposed descriptors is significantly better than other methods in the same category.
KeywordsSpherical harmonics content based image retrieval
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Sajjanhar, A., Lu, G., Zhang, D.: Spherical Harmonics Descriptor for 2d-Image Retrieval. In: IEEE International Conference on Multimedia and Expo., pp. 105–108 (2005)Google Scholar
- 3.Kazhdan, M., Funkhouser, T., Rusinkiewicz, S.: Rotation Invariant Spherical Harmonic Representation of 3d Shape Descriptors. In: Symposium on Geometry Processing, June 2003, pp. 167–175 (2003)Google Scholar
- 4.Kazhdan, M.: Shape Representations and Algorithms for 3d Model Retrieval, PhD Thesis, Princeton University (June 2004)Google Scholar
- 8.Toriwaki, J.I., Saitoh, T., Okada, M.: Distance transformation and skeleton for shape feature analysis. In: International Workshop on Visual Form, pp. 547–563 (1992)Google Scholar
- 10.Paglieroni, D.W.: Distance Transforms: Properties and machine vision applications. CVGIP: Graphical Models Image Processing 54, 56–74 (1992)Google Scholar