User Engagement in Research Data Curation
In recent years information systems such as digital repositories, built to support research practice, have struggled to encourage participation partly due to inadequate analysis of the requirements of the user communities. This paper argues that engagement of users in research data curation through an understanding of their processes, constraints and culture is a key component in the development of the data repositories that will ultimately serve them. In order to maximize the effectiveness of such technologies curation activities need to start early in the research lifecycle and therefore strong links with researchers are necessary. Moreover, this paper promotes the adoption of a pragmatic approach with the result that the use of open data as a mechanism to engage researchers may not be appropriate for all disciplinary research environments.
Keywordsdigital curation research data management open data digital repository services user engagement
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Harnard, S.: For whom the gate tolls? How and why to free the referred research literature online through author/institution self-archiving now (2001), http://cogprints.org/1639/
- 2.Raym, C.: The case for institutional repositories: a SPARC position paper (2002)Google Scholar
- 3.Salo, D.: Innkeeper at the Roach Motel. Library Trends 57(2) (2008)Google Scholar
- 4.Murray-Rust, P.: Open Data in science. Nature Proceedings (2008)Google Scholar
- 5.OECD: OECD Principles and guidelines for access to research data from public funding. Paris (2007), http://www.oecd.org/dataoecd/9/61/38500813.pdf
- 6.Gibbs, H.: DISC-UK DataShare: State of the art review (2007), http://www.disc-uk.org/docs/state-of-the-art-review.pdf
- 7.Lyon, L., Coles, S., Duke, M., Koch, T.: Scaling up: towards a federation of crystallography data repositories (2008), http://eprints.soton.ac.uk/51263/
- 8.Berman, H.M.: The Protein Data Bank: a historical perspective. Acta Crystallographica, 88–95 (2008)Google Scholar
- 9.Benton, D.: Recent changes in the GenBank online service. Nucleic. Acid. Research 18(6) (1990)Google Scholar
- 10.Steinhart, G.: DataStaR, a data staging repository for digital research data (2008), http://www.dcc.ac.uk/events/dcc-2008/programme/posters/DataStaR.pdf
- 11.Martinez-Uribe, L.: Findings of the scoping study and research data management workshop (2008), http://tinyurl.com/55fxgw
- 12.Ekmekcioglu, Ç., Rice, R.: Edinburgh data audit implementation project: Final report (2009), http://ie-repository.jisc.ac.uk/283/