Left Ventricle Segmentation Using Diffusion Wavelets and Boosting
We propose a method for the segmentation of medical images based on a novel parameterization of prior shape knowledge and a search scheme based on classifying local appearance. The method uses diffusion wavelets to capture arbitrary and continuous interdependencies in the training data and uses them for an efficient shape model. The lack of classic visual consistency in complex medical imaging data, is tackled by a manifold learning approach handling optimal high-dimensional local features by Gentle Boosting. Appearance saliency is encoded in the model and segmentation is performed through the extraction and classification of the corresponding features in a new data set, as well as a diffusion wavelet based shape model constraint. Our framework supports hierarchies both in the model and the search space, can encode complex geometric and photometric dependencies of the structure of interest, and can deal with arbitrary topologies. Promising results are reported for heart CT data sets, proving the impact of the soft parameterization, and the efficiency of our approach.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 5.Essafi, S., Langs, G., Deux, J.F., Rahmouni, A., Bassez, G., Paragios, N.: Wavelet-driven knowledge-based MRI calf segmentation. In: Proceedings of ISBI (2009)Google Scholar
- 8.Essafi, S., Langs, G., Paragios, N.: Hierarchical 3d diffusion wavelets shape priors. In: IEEE International Conference in Computer Vision, ICCV 2009 (2009)Google Scholar
- 9.Friedman, J., Hastie, T., Tibshirani, R.: Additive logistic regression: A statistical view of boosting. Annals of statistics, 337–374 (2000)Google Scholar
- 10.Scott, I.M., Cootes, T.F., Taylor, C.J.: Improving appearance model matching using local image structure. In: Taylor, C.J., Noble, J.A. (eds.) IPMI 2003. LNCS, vol. 2732, pp. 258–269. Springer, Heidelberg (2003)Google Scholar
- 11.Qian, Z., Metaxas, D.N., Axel, L.: A learning framework for the automatic and accurate segmentation of cardiac tagged MRI images. In: CVBIA, pp. 93–102 (2005)Google Scholar
- 12.Meyer, Y.: Wavelets - Algorithms and applications. Applied Mathematics (1993)Google Scholar
- 14.Viola, P., Jones, M.: Robust real-time object detection. International Journal of Computer Vision (2001)Google Scholar