Design of the Test Stimuli for the Evaluation of Concatenation Cost Functions
A large number of methods for measuring of audible discontinuities, which occur at concatenation points in synthesized speech, have been proposed in recent years. However, none of them proved to be comparatively better than others across all languages and recording conditions and the presented results have sometimes even been in contradiction. What is more, none of the tested concatenation cost functions seem to be reliably reflecting the human perception of such discontinuities. Thus, the design of the concatenation cost functions is still an open issue, and there is a lot of work remaining to be done. In this paper, we deal with the problem of preparing the test stimuli for evaluating the performance of these functions, which is, in our opinion, one of the key aspects in this field.
KeywordsTest Stimulus Listening Test Speech Synthesis Unit Selection Concatenation Point
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Hunt, A., Black, A.: Unit selection in a concatenative speech synthesis system using a large speech database. In: ICASSP 1996, vol. 1, pp. 373–376 (1996)Google Scholar
- 3.Vepa, J., King, S.: Join cost for unit selection speech synthesis. In: Alwan, A., Narayanan, S. (eds.) Speech Synthesis. Prentice Hall, Englewood Cliffs (2004)Google Scholar
- 4.Kawai, H., Tsuzaki, M.: Acoustic measures vs. phonetic features as predictors of audible discontinuity in concatenative speech synthesis. In: ICSLP 2002, pp. 2621–2624 (2002)Google Scholar
- 5.Chen, J., Campbell, N.: Objective distance measures for assessing concatenative speech synthesis. In: EUROSPEECH 1999, pp. 611–614 (1999)Google Scholar
- 6.Vepa, J.: Join cost for unit selection speech synthesis. PhD Thesis, University of Edinburgh (2004)Google Scholar
- 7.Bellegarda, J.R.: A novel discontinuity metric for unit selection text–to–speech synthesis. In: EUROSPEECH 1999, pp. 611–614 (1999)Google Scholar
- 8.Tsuzaki, M.: Feature extraction by auditory modelling for unit selection in concatenative speech synthesis. In: EUROSPEECH 2001, pp. 2223–2226 (2001)Google Scholar
- 10.Kirkpatrick, B., O’Brien, D., Scaife, R.: Feature extraction for spectral continuity measures in concatenative speech synthesis. In: INTERSPEECH 2006 (2006)Google Scholar