Kernel-Based Copula Processes
Kernel-based Copula Processes (KCPs), a new versatile tool for analyzing multiple time-series, are proposed here as a unifying framework to model the interdependency across multiple time-series and the long-range dependency within an individual time-series. KCPs build on the celebrated theory of copula which allows for the modeling of complex interdependence structure, while leveraging the power of kernel methods for efficient learning and parsimonious model specification. Specifically, KCPs can be viewed as a generalization of the Gaussian processes enabling non-Gaussian predictions to be made. Such non-Gaussian features are extremely important in a variety of application areas. As one application, we consider temperature series from weather stations across the US. Not only are KCPs found to have modeled the heteroskedasticity of the individual temperature changes well, the KCPs also successfully discovered the interdependencies among different stations. Such results are beneficial for weather derivatives trading and risk management, for example.
KeywordsCopula Kernel Methods Gaussian Processes Time-Series Analysis Heteroskedasticity Maximum Likelihood Estimation Financial Derivatives Risk Management
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Bollerslev, T.: Generalized autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity. Journal of Econometrics, 31Google Scholar
- 4.Carney, M., Cunningham, P.: Evaluating density forecast models. tcd-cs-2006- 21. Database, Trinity College Dublin, Department of Computer Science (2006)Google Scholar
- 6.Sandberg, D.V., Alvarado, E., Stewart, G.: Modeling large forest fires as extreme events. Northwest Science, 72Google Scholar
- 8.Rosso, R., De Michele, C., Salvadori, G., Kottegoda, N.T.: Extremes in nature: an approach using Copulas. Springer, New York (2007)Google Scholar
- 11.Lee, T.-H., Long, X.: Copula-based multivariate garch model with uncorrelated dependent errors. Database, UCR Working Paper 2005-16 (2005)Google Scholar
- 12.Mandelbrot, B.: The variation of certain speculative prices. Journal of Business, 26Google Scholar
- 14.Fermanian, J.-D., Doukhan, P., Lang, G.: Copulas of a vector-valued stationary weakly dependent process. Database, Working paper CREST (2004)Google Scholar
- 16.Olsen, E.T., Darsow, W.F., Nguyen, B.: Copulas and markov processes. Illinois Journal of Mathematics, pp. 600–642 (1992)Google Scholar
- 17.Jr. M.J. Menne R.S. Vose Williams, C.N. and D.R. Easterling.: United states historical climatology network daily temperature, precipitation, and snow data. Database, The Carbon Dioxide Information Analysis Center, Oak Ridge National Laboratory, U.S. Department of Energy (2006)Google Scholar