On the Exact Success Rate of Side Channel Analysis in the Gaussian Model
Nowadays, Side Channel Analysis is one of the most powerful cryptanalytic technique against cryptosystems embedded in portable devices such as smart cards. Faced with this threat, it is of crucial importance to precisely determine what is achievable by a given side channel adversary against a cryptosystem producing a given side channel leakage. This can be answered by evaluating the success rate of an attack according to the adversary capacities and to the leakage properties.
In this paper, we investigate the issue of evaluating the success rate of side channel analysis in the widely admitted Gaussian leakage model. We introduce a new approach that allows us to efficiently compute the success rate of an attack in this model and we apply it to the two main families of side channel analysis: differential side channel analysis and profiling side channel analysis.
- 5.Cachin, C.: Entropy Measures and Unconditional Security in Cryptography. PhD thesis (1997)Google Scholar
- 9.Genz, A.: Numerical Computation of Multivariate Normal Probabilities. Journal of Computational and Graphical Statistics 1, 141–149 (1992)Google Scholar
- 10.Genz, A.: Comparison of Methods for the Computation of Multivariate Normal Probabilities. Computing Science and Statistics 25, 400–405 (1993)Google Scholar
- 13.Kocher, P.C.: Timing attacks on implementations of diffie-hellman, RSA, DSS, and other systems. In: Koblitz, N. (ed.) CRYPTO 1996. LNCS, vol. 1109, pp. 104–113. Springer, Heidelberg (1996)Google Scholar
- 17.Massey, J.: Guessing and Entropy. IEEE ISIT, 204 (1994)Google Scholar
- 18.Messerges, T., Dabbish, E., Sloan, R.: Investigations of Power Analysis Attacks on Smartcards. In: The USENIX Workshop on Smartcard Technology (Smartcard 1999), pp. 151–161 (1999)Google Scholar
- 21.Standaert, F.-X., Malkin, T.G., Yung, M.: A Unified Framework for the Analysis of Side-Channel Key Recovery Attacks. Cryptology ePrint Archive, Report 2006/139 (2006), http://eprint.iacr.org/