GOAL as a Planning Formalism
It has been observed that there are interesting relations between planning and agent programming. This is not surprising as agent programming was partially motivated by the lack of planners that are able to operate in dynamic, complex environments. Vice versa it has also been observed, however, that agent programming languages typically lack planning capabilities. We show in this paper that the agent programming language Goal is not only a programming language but can actually be used as a planning formalism as well. This opens up many possibilities for various approaches to mix execution and planning in agent-oriented programming. Moreover, by using the recently introduced temporalGoal we are able to include not only the stratified axioms and ADL that are part of PDDL but also plan constraints.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Baier, J., McIlraith, S.: Planning with first-order temporally extended goals using heuristic search. In: Proceedings of the 21st National Conference on Artificial Intelligence (AAAI 2006), Boston, MA, July 2006, pp. 788–795 (2006)Google Scholar
- 7.Emerson, E.A.: Temporal and Modal Mogic. In: van Leeuwen, J. (ed.) Handbook of Theoretical Computer Science (1990)Google Scholar
- 8.Gerevini, A., Long, D.: Plan constraints and preferences in PDDL3. Technical report, Department of Electronics for Automation, University of Brescia (2005)Google Scholar
- 10.Hindriks, K.V., van Riemsdijk, M.B., van der Hoek, W.: Agent programming with temporally extended goals. In: Proceedings of the Eighth International Conference on Autonomous Agents and Multiagent Systems, AAMAS 2009 (2009)Google Scholar
- 11.Mayer, M.C., Limongelli, C., Orlandini, A., Poggioni, V.: Linear temporal logic as an executable semantics for planning languages. Journal of Logic, Language and Information 16 (2007)Google Scholar
- 13.Röger, G., Helmert, M., Nebel, B.: On the Relative Expressiveness of ADL and Golog. In: Proc. of the Eleventh Int. Conference on Principles of Knowledge Representation and Reasoning (KR 2008), pp. 544–550. AAAI Press, Menlo Park (2008)Google Scholar
- 14.Sardina, S., de Silva, L.P., Padgham, L.: Hierarchical planning in BDI agent programming languages. In: Proc. of the Fifth Int. Conference of Autonomous Agents and Multi-Agent Systems (AAMAS 2006), pp. 1001–1008 (2006)Google Scholar