On the Expansion and Diameter of Bluetooth-Like Topologies
The routing capabilities of an interconnection network are strictly related to its bandwidth and latency characteristics, which are in turn quantifiable through the graph-theoretic concepts of expansion and diameter. This paper studies expansion and diameter of a family of subgraphs of the random geometric graph, which closely model the topology induced by the device discovery phase of Bluetooth-based ad hoc networks. The main feature modeled by any such graph, denoted as BTr(n),c(n), is the small number c(n) of links that each of the n devices (vertices) may establish with those located within its communication range r(n). First, tight bounds are proved on the expansion of BTr(n),c(n) for the whole set of functions r(n) and c(n) for which connectivity has been established in previous works. Then, by leveraging on the expansion result, tight (up to a logarithmic additive term) upper and lower bounds on the diameter of BTr(n),c(n) are derived.
KeywordsVisibility Range Tight Bound Expansion Property Random Graph Model Expansion Result
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Stojmenovic, I., Zaguia, N.: Bluetooth scatternet formation in ad hoc wireless networks. In: Misic, J., Misic, V. (eds.) Performance Modeling and Analysis of Bluetooth Networks, pp. 147–171. Auerbach Publications (2006)Google Scholar
- 4.Ferraguto, F., Mambrini, G., Panconesi, A., Petrioli, C.: A new approach to device discovery and scatternet formation in Bluetooth networks. In: Proc. of the 18th Int. Parallel and Distributed Processing Symposium (2004)Google Scholar
- 7.Panconesi, A., Radhakrishnan, J.: Expansion properties of (secure) wireless networks. In: Proc. of the 16th ACM Symp. on Parallelism in Algorithms and Architectures, pp. 281–285 (2004)Google Scholar
- 8.Dubhashi, D., Johansson, C., Häggström, O., Panconesi, A., Sozio, M.: Irrigating ad hoc networks in constant time. In: Proc. of the 17th ACM Symp. on Parallelism in Algorithms and Architectures, pp. 106–115 (2005)Google Scholar
- 11.Pettarin, A., Pietracaprina, A., Pucci, G.: On the expansion and diameter of Bluetooth-like topologies. Technical report, http://www.dei.unipd.it/~pettarin/pubb/manu/PettarinPP09.pdf