ART-Based Neural Networks for Multi-label Classification
Multi-label classification is an active and rapidly developing research area of data analysis. It becomes increasingly important in such fields as gene function prediction, text classification or web mining. This task corresponds to classification of instances labeled by multiple classes rather than just one. Traditionally, it was solved by learning independent binary classifiers for each class and combining their outputs to obtain multi-label predictions. Alternatively, a classifier can be directly trained to predict a label set of an unknown size for each unseen instance. Recently, several direct multi-label machine learning algorithms have been proposed. This paper presents a novel approach based on ART (Adaptive Resonance Theory) neural networks. The Fuzzy ARTMAP and ARAM algorithms were modified in order to improve their multi-label classification performance and were evaluated on benchmark datasets. Comparison of experimental results with the results of other multi-label classifiers shows the effectiveness of the proposed approach.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Elisseeff, A., Weston, J.: A Kernel Method for Multi-labelled Classification. In: Advances in Neural Information Processing Systems, pp. 681–687 (2001)Google Scholar
- 5.Zhang, M.-L., Zhou, Z.-H.: A k-Nearest Neighbor Based Algorithm for Multi-label Classification. In: International Conference on Granular Computing, pp. 718–721 (2005)Google Scholar
- 7.Younes, Z., Abdallah, F., Denoeux, T.: Multi-label Classification Algorithm Derived from k-Nearest Neighbor Rule with Label Dependencies. In: 16th European Signal Processing Conference (2008)Google Scholar
- 9.Clare, A., King, R.D.: Knowledge Discovery in Multi-label Phenotype Data. In: 5th European Conference on Principles of Data Mining and Knowledge Discovery, pp. 42–53 (2001)Google Scholar
- 10.Blockeel, H., Bruynooghe, M., Džeroski, S., Ramon, J., Struyf, J.: Hierarchical Multi-classification. In: First International Workshop on Multi-Relational Data Mining, pp. 21–35 (2002)Google Scholar
- 12.Suzuki, E., Gotoh, M., Choki, Y.: Bloomy Decision Tree for Multi-objective Classification. In: 5th European Conference on Principles of Data Mining and Knowledge Discovery, pp. 436–447 (2001)Google Scholar
- 18.Carpenter, G.A.: Default ARTMAP. In: International Joint Conference on Neural Networks (IJCNN), pp. 1396–1401 (2003)Google Scholar
- 19.Sapojnikova, E.: ART-based Fuzzy Classifiers: ART Fuzzy Networks for Automatic Classification. Cuvillier Verlag, Goettingen (2004)Google Scholar
- 20.Trohidis, K., Tsoumakas, G., Kalliris, G., Vlahavas, I.: Multilabel Classification of Music into Emotions. In: 9th International Conference on Music Information Retrieval, ISMIR (2008)Google Scholar