A Parallel Rigid Body Dynamics Algorithm
- 730 Downloads
For decades, rigid body dynamics has been used in several active research fields to simulate the behavior of completely undeformable, rigid bodies. Due to the focus of the simulations to either high physical accuracy or real time environments, the state-of-the-art algorithms cannot be used in excess of several thousand rigid bodies. Either the complexity of the algorithms would result in infeasible runtimes, or the simulation could no longer satisfy the real time aspects.
In this paper we present a novel approach for large-scale rigid body dynamics simulations. The presented algorithm enables for the first time rigid body simulations of several million rigid bodies. We describe in detail the parallel rigid body algorithm and its necessary extensions for a large-scale MPI parallelization and show some results by means of a particular simulation scenario.
KeywordsRigid Body Graphical Processing Unit Discrete Element Method Linear Complementarity Problem Communication Step
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Homepage of the Open Dynamics Engine (ODE), http://www.ode.org/
- 2.Homepage of the OpenTissue simulation framework, http://www.opentissue.org
- 3.Homepage of the Regional Computing Center Erlangen (RRZE), http://www.rrze.uni-erlangen.de
- 6.Eberly, D.: Game Physics. Series in Interactive 3D Technology. Morgan Kaufmann, San Francisco (2003)Google Scholar
- 7.Erleben, K., Sporring, J., Henriksen, K.: Physics-Based Animation. Delmar (2005)Google Scholar
- 13.Millington, I.: Game Physics Engine Development. Series in Interactive 3D Technology. Morgan Kaufmann, San Francisco (2007)Google Scholar
- 14.Preclik, T.: Iterative rigid multibody dynamics. Diploma thesis, Friedrich-Alexander University of Erlangen-Nuremberg, Computer Science 10 – Systemsimulation (2008)Google Scholar
- 16.Tasora, A., Negrut, D., Anitescu, M.: Large-scale parallel multi-body dynamics with frictional contact on the graphical processing unit. Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part K: Journal of Multi-body Dynamics 222(4), 315–326 (2008)Google Scholar
- 17.Wengenroth, H.: Rigid body collisions. Master’s thesis, University of Erlangen-Nuremberg, Computer Science 10 – Systemsimulation 2007, Computer Science Department 10 (System Simulation), University of Erlangen-Nuermberg (2007)Google Scholar