Self-organizing Mobile Ad Hoc Networks: Spontaneous Clustering at the MAC Layer
We present in this paper a master-slave, self-organized, spontaneous, passive, and dynamic clustering algorithm embedded into the Medium Access Control (MAC) layer for Mobile Ad hoc Networks. Any mobile station gets access to the channel by executing a contention-based mechanism similar to the IEEE 802.11 Standard. However, once it seizes the channel, it establishes a temporary cluster to which closer neighbors can get synchronized. Within each cluster, any infrastructure-based MAC protocol can be executed. Link-level computer simulations have been carried out to show that this approach can remarkably improve the performance of ad hoc networks at the MAC layer.
KeywordsMAC DQMAN DQCA Clustering Ad hoc Self-organizing
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Perkins, C.E.: Ad Hoc Networking. Addison-Wesley, Reading (2001)Google Scholar
- 2.Alonso-Zarate, J., Kartsakli, E., Cateura, A., Verikoukis, C., Alonso, L.: A Near-Optimum Cross-Layered Distributed Queuing Protocol for WLAN. IEEE Wireless Communications Magazine Special Issue on Medium Access Control Protocols for Wireless LANs 15(1), 48–55 (2008)Google Scholar
- 4.Spilling, A.G., Nix, A.R., Beach, M.A., Harrold, T.J.: Self-organization in future mobile communications. Electronics & Communications Engineering Journal, 133–147 (June 2000)Google Scholar
- 6.Tobella, J.J.S., Stiemerling, M., Brunner, M.: Towards Self-Configuration of IPv6 Networks. In: IEEE Network Operations and Management Symposium 2004, vol. 1, pp. 895–896 (2004)Google Scholar
- 8.Krishna, P., Vaidya, N.H., Chatterjee, M., Pradhan, H.K.: A Cluster-based Approach for Routing in Dynamic Networks. In: Proc. of the ACM SIGCOMM Computer Communication Review, pp. 49–65 (1997)Google Scholar
- 10.Haas, Z.J., Pearlman, M.: The zone routing protocol (ZRP) for Ad Hoc Networks, Internet Draft, Tech. Rep. (November 1997)Google Scholar
- 11.Ibriq, J., Mahgoub, I.: Cluster-Based Routing in Wireless Sensor Networks: Issues and Challenges. In: Proc. of the ACM Telecommunications, pp. 759–766 (2004)Google Scholar
- 14.Li, C.: Clustering in Packet Radio Networks. In: Proc. of the IEEE International Conference on Communications (ICC 1985), pp. 283–287 (1985)Google Scholar
- 15.IEEE, Part 11: Wireless LAN Medium Access Control (MAC) and Physical Layer (PHY) Specifications. IEEE Std. 802.11-99 (August 1999)Google Scholar