A Tree Based Self-routing Scheme for Mobility Support in Wireless Sensor Networks
Recently, WSNs (Wireless Sensor Networks) with mobile robot is a growing technology that offer efficient communication services for anytime and anywhere applications. However, the tiny sensor node has very limited network resources due to its low battery power, low data rate, node mobility, and channel interference constraint between neighbors. Thus, in this paper, we proposed a tree based self-routing protocol for autonomous mobile robots based on beacon mode and implemented in real test-bed environments. The proposed scheme offers beacon based real-time scheduling for reliable association process between parent and child nodes. In addition, it supports smooth handover procedure by reducing flooding overhead of control packets. Throughout the performance evaluation by using a real test-bed system and simulation, we illustrate that our proposed scheme demonstrates promising performance for wireless sensor networks with mobile robots.
KeywordsWireless Sensor Networks Handover Self-routing Mobile Robots
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Akyildiz, I.F., Su, W., Sankarasubramaniam, Y., Cayirci, E.: Wireless sensor networks: a survey. Computer Networks 38 (March 2002)Google Scholar
- 2.Gay, D., Levis, P., Culler, D.: Software Design Patterns for TinyOS. LCTES (June 2005)Google Scholar
- 3.Gay, P.L., Culler, D.: The nesC Language: A Holistic Approach to networked Embedded Systems. In: ACM SIGPLAN 2003 (2003)Google Scholar
- 4.Draft IEEE Std. 802.15.4, Part 15.4, Wireless Medium Access Control (MAC) and Physical Layer (PHY) Specifications for Low-Rate Wireless Personal Area Networks (WPANs) (September 2006)Google Scholar
- 5.Jeon, H.-I., Kim, Y.S.: BOP and beacon scheduling for MEU devices. In: ICACT 2007 (Feburary 2007)Google Scholar
- 6.Jeon, H.-I., Kim, Y.S.: Efficient, Real-Time Short Address Allocations for USN Devices using LAA Algorithm. In: ICACT 2007 (Feburary 2007)Google Scholar
- 7.ISO/IEC JTC1/SC25, WiBEEM for Wireless Home Network Services - part 1, 2, 3, ISO standard (March 2008)Google Scholar
- 8.Perkins, C.E., Royer, E.: Ad-hoc on-demand Distance Vector Routing. In: Proc. 2nd IEEE Wksp. Mobile Comp. Sys. App. (February 1999)Google Scholar
- 9.Johnson, D.B., Maltz, D.A., Hu, Y.-C.: The Dynamic Source Routing Protocol for Mobile Ad Hoc Networks (DSR). In: Internet Draft, IETF Mobile Ad hoc Networks (MANET) Working GroupGoogle Scholar
- 10.Sensor Network Analyzer (SNA), http://www.daintree.net/products/sna.php
- 11.Levis, P., Lee, N., Welsh, M., Culler, D.: TOSSIM: Accurate and Scalable Simulation of Entire TinyOS Applications. In: SenSys 2003 (November 2003)Google Scholar