A Tractable Subclass of DTDs for XPath Satisfiability with Sibling Axes
The paper presents a tractable subclass of DTDs, called DC-DTDs, for XPath satisfiability with sibling axes. A DC-DTD is a DTD such that each content model is in the form of a concatenation of single tag names and Kleene-starred regular expressions. DC-DTDs are a proper subclass of covering DTDs proposed by Montazerian et al., and a proper superclass of disjunction-free DTDs. In this paper, it is shown that tractability by covering DTDs is fragile against sibling axes. Then, tractability of XPath satisfiability with sibling axes under DC-DTDs is demonstrated. Finally, as a limitation of the tractability of DC-DTDs, it is shown that upward axes appearing in qualifiers bring intractability under even disjunction-free DTDs.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Lakshmanan, L.V.S., Ramesh, G., Wang, H., Zhao, Z.J.: On testing satisfiability of tree pattern queries. In: Proceedings of the Thirtieth International Conference on Very Large Data Bases, pp. 120–131 (2004)Google Scholar
- 2.Benedikt, M., Fan, W., Geerts, F.: XPath satisfiability in the presence of DTDs. In: Proceedings of the Twenty-fourth ACM SIGACT-SIGMOD-SIGART Symposium on Principles of Database Systems, pp. 25–36 (2005)Google Scholar
- 3.Benedikt, M., Fan, W., Geerts, F.: XPath satisfiability in the presence of DTDs. Journal of the ACM 55(2) (2008)Google Scholar
- 8.Genevès, P., Layaïda, N., Schmitt, A.: Efficient static analysis of XML paths and types. In: Proceedings of the ACM SIGPLAN 2007 Conference on Programming Language Design and Implementation, pp. 342–351 (2007)Google Scholar
- 10.Montazerian, M., Wood, P.T., Mousavi, S.R.: XPath query satisfiability is in PTIME for real-world DTDs. In: Barbosa, D., Bonifati, A., Bellahsène, Z., Hunt, E., Unland, R. (eds.) XSym 2007. LNCS, vol. 4704, pp. 17–30. Springer, Heidelberg (2007)Google Scholar