Two-Dimensional Windowing in the Structural Similarity Index for the Colour Image Quality Assessment
This paper presents the analysis of the usage of the Structural Similarity (SSIM) index for the quality assessment of the colour images with variable size of the sliding window. The experiments have been performed using the LIVE Image Quality Assessment Database in order to compare the linear correlation of achieved results with the Differential Mean Opinion Score (DMOS) values. The calculations have been done using the value (brightness) channel from the HSV (HSB) colour space as well as commonly used YUV/YIQ luminance channel and the average of the RGB channels. The analysis of the image resolution’s influence on the correlation between the SSIM and DMOS values for varying size of the sliding window is also presented as well as some results obtained using the nonlinear mapping based on the logistic function.
Keywordscolour image quality assessment Structural Similarity
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Carnec, M., Le Callet, P., Barba, P.: An Image Quality Assessment Method Based on Perception of Structural Information. In: Proc. Int. Conf. Image Processing, Barcelona, Spain, vol. 2, pp. 185–188 (2003)Google Scholar
- 2.Eskicioglu, A.: Quality Measurement for Monochrome Compressed Images in the Past 25 Years. In: Proc. IEEE Int. Conf. Acoust. Speech Signal Process., Istanbul, Turkey, pp. 1907–1910 (2000)Google Scholar
- 3.Marziliano, P., Dufaux, F., Winkler, S., Ebrahimi, T.: A No-Reference Perceptual Blur Metric. In: Proc. IEEE Int. Conf. Image Processing, Rochester, USA, pp. 57–60 (2002)Google Scholar
- 5.Okarma, K.: Colour Image Quality Assessment Using Structural Similarity Index and Singular Value Decomposition. In: Bolc, L., Kulikowski, J.L., Wojciechowski, K. (eds.) ICCVG 2008. LNCS, vol. 5337, pp. 55–65. Springer, Heidelberg (2009)Google Scholar
- 6.Sendashonga, M., Labeau, F.: Low Complexity Image Quality Assessment Using Frequency Domain Transforms. In: Proc. IEEE Int. Conf. Image Processing, pp. 385–388 (2006)Google Scholar
- 7.Sheikh, H.R., Wang, Z., Cormack, L., Bovik, A.C.: LIVE Image Quality Assessment Database Release 2, http://live.ece.utexas.edu/research/quality