Empirical Findings on Critical Infrastructure Dependencies in Europe
One type of threat consistently identified as a key challenge for Critical Infrastructure Protection (CIP) is that of cascading effects caused by dependencies and interdependencies across different critical infrastructures (CI) and their services. This paper draws on a hitherto untapped data source on infrastructure dependencies: a daily maintained database containing over 2375 serious incidents in different CI all over the world as reported by news media. In this paper we analyse this data to discover patterns in CI failures in Europe like cascades, dependencies, and interdependencies. Some analysis results indicate that less sectors than many dependency models suggest drive cascading outages and that cascading effects due to interdependencies are hardly reported.
KeywordsEnergy Sector News Medium Critical Infrastructure Telecommunication Sector National Priority List
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.European Commission, Proposal for a Directive of the Council on the identification and designation of European Critical Infrastructure and the assessment to improve their protection, COM (2006) 787 final, Communication from the Commission to the Council and the European Parliament, Brussels (December 12, 2006)Google Scholar
- 2.Auerswald, P.E.: Complexity and Interdependence: The Unmanaged Challenge. In: Auerswald, P.E., Branscomb, L.M., La Porte, T.M., Michel-Kerjan, E.O. (eds.) Seeds of Disaster, Roots and Response: How Private Action can Reduce Public Vulnerability, Cambridge, p. 157 (2006)Google Scholar
- 3.Pederson, P., Dudenhoeffer, D., Hartley, S., Permann, M.: Critical Infrastructure Interdependency Modeling: A Survey of U.S. and International Research (2006)Google Scholar
- 4.Rinaldi, S.M., Peerenboom, J., Kelly, T.: Complexities in identifying, Understanding, and Analyzing Critical Infrastructure Dependencies. Special issue IEEE Control Systems Magazine on Complex Interactive Networks (December 2001)Google Scholar
- 5.Simonoff, J., Restrepo, C., Zimmerman, R., Naphtali, Z.: Analysis of Electrical and Oil and Gas Pipeline Failures. In: Goetz, E., Shenoi, S. (eds.) Critical Infrastructure Protection. IFIP WG 11.10 series in Critical Infrastructure Protection (2008)Google Scholar
- 8.Von Kirchbach, H.-P., et al.: Bericht der Unabhngigen Kommission der Schsischen Staatsregierung Flutkatastrophe 2002 (2003)Google Scholar
- 9.UCTE, Final report System Disturbance on 4 November 2006, UCTE (2006), http://www.ucte.org/library/otherreports/Final-Report-20070130.pdf
- 10.ENSAD database, source, http://gabe.web.psi.ch/research/ra (last visited: July 29, 2008)