PDE Based Unsharp Masking, Crispening and High Boost Filtering of Digital Images
A partial differential equation (PDE) based technique is proposed and implemented to perform unsharp masking, crispening and high boost filtering of digital images. The traditional concept of unsharp masking and crispening of edges which uses Laplacian as intermediate step for smoothening the image has been extended and modified using the idea of Perona and Malik  which overcomes the disadvantages of Laplacian method. For descretization, finite differences scheme has been used. The scheme has been implemented using MATLAB 7.0 and performance is tested for various gray images of different resolutions and the obtained results justify the applicability of proposed scheme.
KeywordsUnsharp filter Crispenening Sharpening of images Laplacian PDE High Boost Filtering
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Gonzalez, R.C., Wintz, P.: Digital Image Processing, 2nd edn. Academic Press, New York (1987)Google Scholar
- 3.Jain, A.K.: Fundamentals of Digital Image Processing. PHI (2005)Google Scholar
- 4.Sonka, M., et al.: Image Processing, Analysis and Machine Vision, 2nd edn. PWS Publishing (2007)Google Scholar
- 5.Caselles, V., Morel, J., Sapiro, et al: Introduction to the special issue on partial differential equations and geometry driven diffusions in image processing. IEEE transactions on image processing 7(3) (March 1998)Google Scholar
- 6.Witkin, A.P.: Scale space filtering. In: Proc. Int. Joint Conf. on Artificial Intelligence, Germany, pp. 1019–1023 (1983)Google Scholar
- 7.McOwen, R.C.: Partial Differential Equations-Methods and Applications, 2nd edn. Pearson Education, London (2005)Google Scholar
- 8.Numerical Recipes in C: The Art of Scientific Computing. Cambridge University Press (1992) ISBN 0-521-43108-5Google Scholar