Field Tracking Tool: A Collaborative Framework from the Field to the Decision Makers
The JRC, in conjunction with the UNHQ Cartographic section, designed and developed a collaborative mapping framework focused on supporting the information- management process and aimed at assisting the decision makers during emergencies. Compared with several tools already available on the market, the JRC development was intended to answer three clear requirements, in particular to support the whole information flow in an emergency situation, to facilitate the users’ experience and to ensure quick information dissemination from the field to the mission’s headquarters. All the information is stored in a common repository and shared among all the crisis players through a web portal and other geographic-aware systems such as Google Earth. The system underwent a real test scenario during the post-2008 hurricane season PDNA exercise in Haiti where it was demonstrated to be a valuable tool to support the decision-making process in all its stages.
KeywordsVolunteer Geographic Information Spatial Data Infrastructure Field Team Central Repository Memory Card
- Amdahl G (2001) E Team: Emergencies and the internet. Disaster Response, GIS for Public Safety. ESRI Press, Redlands, CA, pp. 33–38.Google Scholar
- Chan TO et al. (2001) The dynamic nature of Spatial Data Infrastructures: A method of descriptive classification. Geomatica 55(1):65–72.Google Scholar
- Fickes M (2003) WHY WE NEED SMARTER MAPS. http://govtsecurity.com/mag/why_need_smarter/ [Accessed June 11, 2009].
- GDACS (2008a) GDACS event report – Tropical Cyclone FAY-08. Global Disaster Alert and Coordination System. http://www.gdacs.org/reports.asp?eventType=TC&ID=FAY-08&system=asgard&alertlevel=Green&glide_no=&location=USA&country=United%20States&new=true [Accessed June 15, 2009].
- GDACS (2008b) GDACS event report – Tropical Cyclone GUSTAV-08. Global Disaster Alert and Coordination System. http://www.gdacs.org/reports.asp?eventType=TC&ID=GUSTAV-08&system=asgard&alertlevel=Orange&glide_no=&location=HTI&country=Haiti&new=true [Accessed June 15, 2009].
- GDACS (2008c) GDACS event report – Tropical Cyclone HANNA-08. Global Disaster Alert and Coordination System. http://www.gdacs.org/reports.asp?eventType=TC&ID=HANNA-08&system=asgard&alertlevel=Orange&glide_no=&location=DOM&country=Dominican%20Republic,%20Haiti,%20Turks%20%20Caicos%20Is.,%20Cuba,%20United%20States,%20The%20Bahamas&new=true [Accessed June 15, 2009].
- GDACS (2008d) GDACS event report – Tropical Cyclone IKE-08. Global Disaster Alert and Coordination System. http://www.gdacs.org/reports.asp?eventType=TC&ID=IKE-08&system=asgard&alertlevel=Red&glide_no=TC-2008-000151-BHS&location=CUB&country=Cuba&new=true [Accessed June 15, 2009].
- Guha-Sapir D et al. (2004) Thirty years of natural disasters 1974–2003, Presses University de Louvain.Google Scholar
- Kayitakire F (2008) Rapport d`evaluation des besoins apres disastre. Cyclones Fay, Gustav, Hanna et Ike., Port-au-Prince (Haiti): Government of Haiti – The World Bank – United Nations – European Commission.Google Scholar
- Parker C, Stileman M (2005) Disaster management: The challenges for a national geographic information provider. Geo-information for Disaster Management. Springer, New York, pp. 191–214. http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/3-540-27468-5_14 [Accessed June 15, 2009].
- Rajabifard A, Williamson IP (2003) Anticipating the cultural aspects of sharing for SDI development. Proceedings, Spatial Sciences 2003 Conference. Canberra, AU.Google Scholar
- Reilly D (2008) Reuters AlertNet – A year’s worth of mud in Gonaives. http://www.alertnet.org/db/blogs/53808/2008/09/13-124438-1.htm [Accessed June 15, 2009].
- Sanjay Jain, McLean C (2003) A framework for modeling and simulation for emergency response. In Simulation Conference, 2003. In: Proceedings of the 2003 Winter. Vol. 1, pp. 1068–1076.Google Scholar
- SNDR (2002) A National Hazards Information Strategy: Reducing Disaster Losses Through Better Information. National Science and Technology Council, Committee on the Environment and Natural Resources, Subcommittee on Natural Disaster Reduction (SNDR). Washington, DC, USA.Google Scholar
- USAID (2008) Haiti – Storms Fact Sheet #6 (FY) 2009. http://www.reliefweb.int/rw/rwb.nsf/db900sid/TUJA-7MG2NN?OpenDocument [Accessed June 15, 2009].
- Wattegama C (2007) ICT for Disaster Management. UN-APCICT, UNDP, Bangkok, Thailand.Google Scholar