GMES Services for Conflict Prevention and Mitigation: Supporting the DG RELEX in Mission Planning
Following a request from the DG RELEX in April 2008 for support in the planning of the EU mission to Darfur, the GMES-LIMES project partners in the Humanitarian Relief & Reconstruction cluster combined their expertise to contribute their support through the provision of satellite imagery based maps and information. Detailed damage assessment maps were produced for three villages that had been burnt down by militias early in 2008. Analyses were also carried out on the evolution of two large IDP camps, focussing on the population growth and densities within both the camps and the surrounding villages. In addition, rapid mapping techniques adapted to the complex humanitarian situation were applied in analysing the effects of militia raids on the three villages in West Darfur and for monitoring the evolution of the IDP camps between 2002 and 2008. The impact of the camps on the surrounding environment was also analysed using medium-resolution MODIS time series data (2000—2008).
- Bush R (1988) Hunger in Sudan: The Case of Darfur. African Affairs 87(346), (Jan., 1988):5–23.Google Scholar
- Cracknell AP (1997) The Advanced Very High Resolution Radiometer (AVHRR). Taylor & Francis, London, 534 pp.Google Scholar
- HIC (2005) Camp coordination in West Darfur. [http://www.humanitarianinfo.org/darfur/uploads/maps/IDP/West%20Darfur_IDP_Camp_Coordination_Map_A3_30Sept05.pdf] (20 August 2008).
- International Crisis Group (2007) Darfur’s new security reality. Africa Report N°134, 26 November 2007.Google Scholar
- Justice DH, Salomonson V, Privette J, Riggs G, Strahler A, Lucht R, Myneni R, Knjazihhin Y, Running S, Nemani R, Vermote E, Townshend J, Defries R, Roy D, Wan Z, Huete A, van Leeuwen R, Wolfe R, Giglio L, Muller JP, Lewis P, Barnsley M (1998) The Moderate Resolution Imaging Spectroradiometer (MODIS): Land remote sensing for global change research. IEEE Trans Geosci Rem Sens 36:1228–1249.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Lang S (2008) Object-based image analysis for remote sensing applications: Modeling reality – dealing with complexity. In: Blaschke T, Lang S, Hay G (eds.) Object-Based Image Analysis – Spatial concepts for knowledge-driven remote sensing applications. Springer, New York, pp. 3–28.Google Scholar
- OCHA (2007): Camp data. [http://www.unsudanig.org/library/mapcatalogue/darfur/data/camps/], (20 August 2008).
- UNEP (2008) Destitution, Distortion and Deforestation: The Impact of Conflict on the Timber and Woodfuel trade in Darfur. Geneva, United Nations Environment Program.Google Scholar
- UNHCR (2005) Environmental Guidelines. Geneva: United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees.Google Scholar
- UNHCR (2006): Specifications and list of tests for future reference Light-Weight Emergency Tent (UNHCR LWET). [http://www.unhcr.org/admin/ADMIN/44c48eca2.pdf], (20 August 2008).