A Support System for the Analysis and the Management of Complex Ruling Documents
This paper reports the experiment conducted for the development and assessment of a new software tool allowing the automatic discovery of correlations in large legislative frameworks.
The system, named NavigaNorme, has been mainly designed to support experts of the Legal domain involved in the simplification of the Italian normative framework for all levels of the Public Administration. In fact, the most relevant functionality in NavigaNorme is the identification, given a paragraph in a selected norm, of those paragraphs (in the same norm and in other norms) that should be considered in trying to reduce the number of norms being in force or in drafting a new law.
NavigaNorme relies on a search engine that combines classical Information retrieval techniques with some ad-hoc strategies introduced to increase the precision of the retrieval by exploiting implicit information extracted from the logical structure of Legal and normative texts.
The effectiveness of NavigaNorme has been mainly measured in terms of precision, through an assessment procedure that involved experts of the Legal domain.
KeywordsNormative texts analysis Information retrieval Evaluation of search engines
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.CNIPA: Formato per la rappresentazione elettronica dei provvedimenti normativi tramite il linguaggio di marcatura XML. TR: AIPA-CR-40 (2002)Google Scholar
- 2.Norme In Rete, http://www.normeinrete.it/
- 5.Brin, S.: The Anatomy of a Large-Scale Hypertextual Web Search Engine. Computer Networks and ISDN Systems, 107–117 (1998)Google Scholar
- 7.Ounis, I., Amati, G., Plachouras, V., He, B., Macdonald, C., Lioma, C.: Terrier - A High Performance and Scalable Information Retrieval Platform. In: ACM SIGIR 2006 Workshop on Open Source Information Retrieval (OSIR 2006), Seattle, Washington, USA (2006)Google Scholar
- 8.Stemmer Snowball, http://snowball.tartarus.org
- 9.The JUNG Web site, http://jung.sourceforge.net
- 10.Baeza-Yates, R., Ribeiro-Neto, B.: Modern Information Retrieval. Addison-Wesley, Reading (1999)Google Scholar
- 12.van Rijsbergen, C.J.: Information Retrieval. Butterworth (1979)Google Scholar
- 13.Leggi dltalia Professionale, http://www.leggiditaliaprofessionale.it
- 14.Dejure - Giuffr, http://dejure.giuffre.it
- 15.WestLaw, http://www.westlaw.com
- 16.LexisNexis, http://www.lexisnexis.com/
- 17.Quicklaw, http://www.quicklaw.com/
- 18.Benjamins, R., Casanovas, P., Gangemi, A., Breuker, J.: Law and the Semantic Web - Legal Ontologies, Methodologies, Legal Information Retrieval, and Applications. Springer, Heidelberg (2005)Google Scholar