An Organisational Platform for Holonic and Multiagent Systems
janus is a new multiagent platform that was specifically designed to deal with the implementation and deployment of holonic and multiagent systems. It is based on an organisational approach and its key focus is that it supports the implementation of the concepts of role and organisation as first-class entities. This consideration has a significant impact on agent implementation and allows an agent to easily and dynamically change its behaviour. The platform also natively manages the concept of holon to facilitate the deployment of holonic multiagent systems and thus contributes to fill the gap between conception and implementation phases in this domain. This article draws a complete description of janus and its main characteristics. A small example of a market-like community is also provided with the associated code review to illustrate the impact of a full organisational approach in terms of code modularity and reusability.
KeywordsAgent Oriented Software Engineering Holonic Modelling Multiagent systems implementation and deployment Holonic multiagent systems
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Dastani, M., Gomez-Sanz, J.J.: Programming multi-agent systems (promas), a report of the technical forum meeting (April 2005), http://people.cs.uu.nl/mehdi/tfg/ljubljanafiles/report.pdf
- 4.Cossentino, M., Gaud, N., Hilaire, V., Galland, S., Koukam, A.: A Metamodel and Implementation platform for Holonic Multi-Agent Systems. In: The fifth European Workshop on Multi-Agent Systems (EUMAS 2007), Hammamet, Tunisia (December 2007)Google Scholar
- 5.Object Management Group (OMG): MDA Guide, v1.0.1, OMG/2003-06-01 (June 2003)Google Scholar
- 6.Rodriguez, S., Gaud, N., Hilaire, V., Galland, S., Koukam, A.: An analysis and design concept for self-organization in holonic multi-agent systems. In: Brueckner, S.A., Hassas, S., Jelasity, M., Yamins, D. (eds.) ESOA 2006. LNCS, vol. 4335, pp. 15–27. Springer, Heidelberg (2007)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 9.Sycara, K., Klusch, M., Widoff, S., Lu, J.: Dynamic service matchmaking among agents in open information environments. SIGMOD Record (ACM Special Interests Group on Management of Data) 28(1), 47–53 (1999)Google Scholar
- 10.Sycara, K., Lu, J., Klusch, M., Widoff, S.: Matchmaking among heterogeneous agents on the internet. In: Proceedings of the 1999 AAAI Spring Symposium on Intelligent Agents in Cyberspace (March 1999)Google Scholar
- 12.Gerber, C., Siekmann, J.H., Vierke, G.: Holonic Multi-Agent Systems. Technical Report DFKI-RR-99-03, Deutsches Forschungszentrum für Künztliche Inteligenz - GmbH, Postfach 20 80, 67608 Kaiserslautern, FRG (May 1999)Google Scholar
- 13.Ferber, J., Gutknecht, O.: A meta-model for the analysis and design of organizations in multi-agent systems. In: Demazeau, Y., Durfee, E., Jennings, N.R. (eds.) Third International Conference on Multi-Agent Systems (ICMAS), Paris, France, july 1998, pp. 128–135 (1998)Google Scholar