A Colorimetric Study of Spatial Uniformity in Projection Displays
In this paper we investigate and study the color spatial uniformity of projectors. A common assumption is to consider that only the luminance is varying along the spatial dimension. We show that the chromaticity plays a significant role in the spatial color shift, and should not be disregarded, depending on the application. We base our conclusions on the measurements obtained from three projectors. Two methods are used to analyze the data, a conventional approach, and a new one which considers 3D gamut differences. The results show that the color gamut difference between two spatial coordinates within the same display can be larger than the difference observed between two projectors.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Brainard, D.H., Pelli, D., Robson, T.: Display characterization, Encyclopedia of Imaging Science and Technology. Wiley, New-York (2002)Google Scholar
- 4.Cowan, W., Rowell, N.: On the gun independency and phosphor constancy of color video monitor. Color Research & Application 11, S34–S38 (1986)Google Scholar
- 6.IEC:61966-6: Color measurement and management in multimedia systems and equipment, part 3: Equipment used for digital image projection, committee Draft (August 1998)Google Scholar
- 8.Majumder, A., Stevens, R.: Lam: Luminance attenuation map for photometric uniformity in projection based displays. In: Proceedings of ACM Virtual Reality and Software Technology, pp. 147–154 (2002)Google Scholar
- 10.Bakke, A.M., Hardeberg, J.Y., Farup, I.: Evaluation of gamut boundary descriptors, 50–55 (2006)Google Scholar
- 11.Balasubramanian, R., Dalal, E.: A method for quantifying the color gamut of an output device. In: Color Imaging: Device-Independent Color, Color Hard Copy, and Graphic Arts II, January 1997, vol. 3018. SPIE, San Jose (1997)Google Scholar
- 12.Farup, I., Hardeberg, J.Y., Bakke, A.M., le Kopperud, S., Rindal, A.: Visualization and interactive manipulation of color gamuts, 250–255 (2002)Google Scholar
- 13.Matthew, M., Brennesholtz, S., Stupp, E.H.: Projection Displays, 2nd edn. John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., Chichester (2008)Google Scholar