An Approach to the Engineering of Cellular Models Based on P Systems
Living cells assembled into colonies or tissues communicate using complex systems. These systems consist in the interaction between many molecular species distributed over many compartments. Among the different cellular processes used by cells to monitor their environment and respond accordingly, gene regulatory networks, rather than individual genes, are responsible for the information processing and orchestration of the appropriate response .
In this respect, synthetic biology has emerged recently as a novel discipline aiming at unravelling the design principles in gene regulatory systems by synthetically engineering transcriptional networks which perform a specific and prefixed task . Formal modelling and analysis are key methodologies used in the field to engineer, assess and compare different genetic designs or devices.
KeywordsGene Regulatory Network Synthetic Biology Quorum Sensing Cellular System Process Algebra
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Andrianantoandro, E., Basu, S., Karig, D., Weiss, R.: Synthetic biology: new engineering rules for an emerging discipline. Molecular Systems biology 2, 2006.0028 (2006)Google Scholar
- 6.Besozzi, D., Cazzaniga, P., Pescini, D., Mauri, G., Colombo, S., Martegani, E.: Modeling and stochastic simulation of the Ras/cAMP/PKA pathway in the yeast Saccharomyces cerevisiae evidences a key regulatory function for intracellular guanine nucleotides pools. Journal of Biotechnology 133(3), 377–385 (2008)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 16.Ptashne, M., Gann, A.: Genes and Signals. Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory Press (2002)Google Scholar
- 21.Romero-Campero, F.J., Cao, H., Cámara, M., Krasnogor, N.: Structure and Parameter Estimation for Cell Systems Biology Models. In: Proc. of the Genetic and Evolutionary Computation Conference, Atlanta, USA, July 12 - 16, pp. 331–338 (2008)Google Scholar
- 22.Romero-Campero, F.J., Twycross, J., Cámara, M., Bennett, M., Gheorghe, M., Krasnogor, N.: Modular Assembly of Cell Systems Biology Models Using P Systems. International Journal of Foundations of Computer Science (2008) (in press)Google Scholar