Approximation Algorithms via Structural Results for Apex-Minor-Free Graphs
We develop new structural results for apex-minor-free graphs and show their power by developing two new approximation algorithms. The first is an additive approximation for coloring within 2 of the optimal chromatic number, which is essentially best possible, and generalizes the seminal result by Thomassen  for bounded-genus graphs. This result also improves our understanding from an algorithmic point of view of the venerable Hadwiger conjecture about coloring H-minor-free graphs. The second approximation result is a PTAS for unweighted TSP in apex-minor-free graphs, which generalizes PTASs for TSP in planar graphs and bounded-genus graphs [20,2,24,15].
We strengthen the structural results from the seminal Graph Minor Theory of Robertson and Seymour in the case of apex-minor-free graphs, showing that apices can be made adjacent only to vortices if we generalize the notion of vortices to “quasivortices” of bounded treewidth, proving a conjecture from . We show that this structure theorem is a powerful tool for developing algorithms on apex-minor-free graphs, including for the classic problems of coloring and TSP. In particular, we use this theorem to partition the edges of a graph into k pieces, for any k, such that contracting any piece results in a bounded-treewidth graph, generalizing previous similar results for planar graphs  and bounded-genus graphs . We also highlight the difficulties in extending our results to general H-minor-free graphs.
KeywordsApproximation Algorithm Planar Graph Chromatic Number Structural Result Surface Part
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Abraham, I., Gavoille, C.: Object location using path separators. In: Proceedings of the 25th Annual ACM Symposium on Principles of Distributed Computing, pp. 188–197 (2006)Google Scholar
- 2.Arora, S., Grigni, M., Karger, D., Klein, P., Woloszyn, A.: A polynomial-time approximation scheme for weighted planar graph TSP. In: Proceedings of the 9th Annual ACM-SIAM Symposium on Discrete Algorithms, pp. 33–41 (1998)Google Scholar
- 6.Czumaj, A., Grigni, M., Sissokho, P., Zhao, H.: Approximation schemes for minimum 2-edge-connected and biconnected subgraphs in planar graphs. In: Proceedings of the 15th Annual ACM-SIAM Symposium on Discrete Algorithms, pp. 496–505. Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics, Philadelphia (2004)Google Scholar
- 10.Demaine, E.D., Hajiaghayi, M.: Equivalence of local treewidth and linear local treewidth and its algorithmic applications. In: Proceedings of the 15th ACM-SIAM Symposium on Discrete Algorithms (SODA 2004), January 2004, pp. 833–842 (2004)Google Scholar
- 11.Demaine, E.D., Hajiaghayi, M.: Bidimensionality: New connections between FPT algorithms and PTASs. In: Proceedings of the 16th Annual ACM-SIAM Symposium on Discrete Algorithms (SODA 2005), Vancouver, January 2005, pp. 590–601 (2005)Google Scholar
- 12.Demaine, E.D., Hajiaghayi, M.: Graphs excluding a fixed minor have grids as large as treewidth, with combinatorial and algorithmic applications through bidimensionality. In: Proceedings of the 16th Annual ACM-SIAM Symposium on Discrete Algorithms (SODA 2005), Vancouver, January 2005, pp. 682–689 (2005)Google Scholar
- 14.Demaine, E.D., Hajiaghayi, M., Kawarabayashi, K.: Algorithmic graph minor theory: Decomposition, approximation, and coloring. In: Proceedings of the 46th Annual IEEE Symposium on Foundations of Computer Science, Pittsburgh, October 2005, pp. 637–646 (2005)Google Scholar
- 15.Demaine, E.D., Hajiaghayi, M., Mohar, B.: Approximation algorithms via contraction decomposition. In: Proceedings of the 18th Annual ACM-SIAM Symposium on Discrete Algorithms, New Orleans, Louisiana, pp. 278–287 (2007)Google Scholar
- 20.Grigni, M., Koutsoupias, E., Papadimitriou, C.: An approximation scheme for planar graph TSP. In: Proceedings of the 36th Annual Symposium on Foundations of Computer Science, pp. 640–645 (1995)Google Scholar
- 23.Kawarabayashi, K., Mohar, B.: List-color-critical graphs on a surface (preprint, 2008)Google Scholar
- 24.Klein, P.N.: A linear-time approximation scheme for TSP for planar weighted graphs. In: Proceedings of the 46th IEEE Symposium on Foundations of Computer Science, pp. 146–155 (2005)Google Scholar
- 25.Klein, P.N.: A subset spanner for planar graphs, with application to subset TSP. In: Proceedings of the 38th ACM Symposium on Theory of Computing (STOC 2006), pp. 749–756 (2006)Google Scholar
- 28.Robertson, N., Seymour, P.D.: Graph minors. XVI. Excluding a non-planar graph. Journal of Combinatorial Theory, Series B 89, 43–76 (2003)Google Scholar