Adaptive Approach to Network Security
- 771 Downloads
The security of information exchange between the parts in the teleinformatic infrastructure is one of the crucial topics. During the protecting the infrastructure of the organization, one can use a lot of mechanisms which are often based on the cryptographic primitives. Traditionally, the security officers model the protection system to be as strong as it is possible. However, the level of protection of information is often much higher than it is necessary to meet potential threats. Since the level of security strongly affects the performance of the whole system, the excessive protection decreases its reliability and availability and, as a result, its global security. The appropriate security level can be estimated by means of different quality of protection models. In this paper we are going to present the approach how to introduce the adaptability to the network. We are basing on the adaptable security model for dynamic environment which calculates the protection level by means of the risk management processes. The analysis is assisted by the security management tool (SPOT) which visualizes and optimizes the adaptable model mentioned above. Finally, we present the case study introducing the network adaptability of the cryptographic protocol.
KeywordsSecurity Level Network Security Security Service Security Mechanism Adaptive Approach
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Lindskog, S.: Modeling and Tuning Security from a Quality of Service Perspective. PhD dissertation, Department of Computer Science and Engineering, Chalmers University of Technology, Gteborg, Sweden (2005)Google Scholar
- 4.Schneck, P., Schwan, K.: Authenticast: An Adaptive Protocol for High-Performance. Secure Network Applications, Technical Report GIT-CC-97-22 (1997)Google Scholar
- 5.Ong, C., Nahrstedt, K., Yuan, W.: Quality of protection for mobile applications. In: IEEE International Conference on Multimedia & Expo. (2003)Google Scholar
- 6.Sun, Y., Kumar, A.: Quality od protection(qop): A quantitative methodology to grade security services. In: 28th confrence on Distributed Computing Systems Workshop, pp. 394–399 (2008)Google Scholar
- 8.Szalachowski, P., Ksiezopolski, B., Kotulski, Z.: SPOT: Optimization tool for the adaptable security mechanism for dynamic environments (submitted to the publication, 2009)Google Scholar
- 10.Ksiezopolski, B., Kotulski, Z.: On a probability modeling of incidence occurrence in electronic processes. In: 7th NATO Regional Conference nn military communications and information systems, pp. 297–305 (2005)Google Scholar
- 11.Dierks, T., Rescorla, E.: The Transport Layer Security (TLS) Protocol Version 1.2, RFC 5246, IETF (2008)Google Scholar