Beyond the User Interface: Towards User-Centred Design of Online Services
This paper presents an attempt to identify those economic factors relevant to design of online services, which shape long-term customer satisfaction, as well as customer loyalty and business relationship with the service vendor. Using user-based studies and expert-based evaluations and major economic factors were identified as consumer needs. Also typical technical components of online services have been identified and prioritized as design elements, also relevant to satisfying economic needs of consumers of online services. As a result of this study will be delivered: a catalogue of design elements, design guidelines and economics-oriented design methodology for online services.
KeywordsHCI usability of online services e-commerce online customer behaviour customer value
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Benyon, D., O’Keefe, B., Mival, O.: Human-Centred Design of Interactive Services. In: HCI and the Analysis, Design and Evaluation of Services, http://www.eng.cam.ac.uk/~pw308/workshops/HCI&Services/Papers/service%20design%20w_shop.pdf
- 2.Cockton, G.: Designing Worth is Worth Designing. In: Proceedings of NordiCHI 2006, pp. 165–174 (2006)Google Scholar
- 3.Cheung, C.M.K., Zhu, L., Kwong, T., Chan, G.W.W., Limayem, M.: Online Customer Behaviour: A Review and Agenda for Future Research. In: Proceedings of the 16th Bled eCommerce Conference eTranformation, Bled Slovenia, June 9-11, 2003, pp. 194–218 (2003)Google Scholar
- 4.Dahlberg, T., Mallat, N.: Mobile Payment Service Development – Managerial Implications of Consumer Value Perceptions. In: Proceedings of ECIS 2002, Gdańsk, Poland, June 6-8, 2002, pp. 649–657 (2002)Google Scholar
- 5.van Dijk, G.: HCI Informing Service Design, and Visa Versa. In: HCI and the Analysis, Design and Evaluation of Services, http://www.eng.cam.ac.uk/~pw308/workshops/HCI&Services/Papers/Servicedesign_paper_GvD_190708.pdf
- 6.Fui-Hoon Nah, F., Davis, S.: HCI Research Issues in e-Commerce Design. Journal of Electronic Commerce Research 3(3) (2002), http://www.csulb.edu/journals/jecr/issues/20023/paper1.pdf
- 7.Lee, J., Kim, J., Moon, J.Y.: What Makes Internet Users Visit Cyber Stores Again? Key Design Factors for Customer Loyalty. Proceedings of CHI 2000 Letters 2(1), 305–312 (2000)Google Scholar
- 9.Sikorski, M.: Zastosowanie metody QFD do doskonalenia jakosci uzytkowej serwisow WWW (Application of QFD Method for Improving Usability of WWW Sites, in Polish). Zeszyty Naukowe Politechniki Poznanskiej, seria: Organizacja i Zarzadzanie, vol. 35, pp. 13–24 (2002)Google Scholar
- 11.Sikorski, M.: From user satisfaction to customer loyalty: addressing economic values in user-centered design of on-line services. In: Proceedings of the COST 298 Conference The Good, The Bad And The Challenging: The user and the future of information and communication technologies, Copenhagen, May 13-15, 2009 (in print)Google Scholar