RUCID: Rapid Usable Consistent Interaction Design Patterns-Based Mobile Phone UI Design Library, Process and Tool
This paper is based on a research effort at Kyocera Wireless, India that aimed to overcome the limitations in the mobile phone design process, by giving designers an improved design and specification tool and helping them deal routinely with some of the more rooted constraints of phone design. The tool extends the idea of templates from simple visual elements, to more abstract design components. It adds further value to this modularization of design, by taking an approach of extensive and ever-growing library of patterns to define and refine these components. The components cover most of the low- to medium-level building blocks of design. They are specified in the library as a tuple(patterns) of <design problem, design solution, context, constraints> each at the different level of hierarchy. The components are visually represented using standardized shapes with placeholder and help text and are made available as part of the design work surface of a visual prototyping tool such as MS Visio or Adobe Fireworks.
KeywordsMobile phone UI design patterns architecture design process lib
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Cooper, A., Reimann, R.: Essentials of Interaction Design. About face 2.0Google Scholar
- 2.Alexander, C.: A Pattern LanguageGoogle Scholar
- 3.Implementing a Pattern Library in the Real World: A Yahoo! Case StudyGoogle Scholar
- 4.van Welie, M., van der Veer, G.C.: Pattern Languages in Interaction Design: Structure and OrganizationGoogle Scholar
- 5.Vora, P., Castillo, J.: Using Patterns to Design Usable Interfaces for Web Applications. Alpha Cube, Inc. (June 29, 2005)Google Scholar
- 6.Todd, E., Kemp, E., Phillips, C.: What makes a good User Interface pattern language?Google Scholar
- 7.Tidwell, J.: COMMON GROUND: A Pattern Language for Human-Computer Interface Design, http://www.mit.edu/~jtidwell/Interaction_patterns.html
- 8.van Welie, M.: Patterns in Interaction Design, http://www.welie.com/
- 9.Yahoo Design Pattern Library, http://developer.yahoo.com/ypatterns/
- 10.Forum NOKIA, http://forum.nokia.com/