Optimizing Online Situation Awareness Probes in Air Traffic Management Tasks
We examined the effectiveness of situation awareness probe questions in predicting sector performance and behavior in a human-in-the-loop simulation air traffic management (ATM) simulation with low (50%) and high (75%) traffic densities. Probes were presented online during the performance of the air traffic management task, and the accuracy and response latencies were measured. Hierarchical linear modeling was used to analyze the predictive power of each category type. Response latencies for conflict probe questions predicted performance metrics associated with separation assurance.
Keywordssituation awareness measurement air traffic management NextGen
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Rantanen, E.: Development and Validation of Objective Performance and Workload Measures in Air Traffic Control. Tech. Report AHFS-04019/FAA-04-07. Univ. of Illinois, IL (2004)Google Scholar
- 3.Durso, F.T., Bleckley, M.K., Dattel, A.R.: Does situation awareness add to the validity of cognitive tests? Human Factors, 721–733 (2006)Google Scholar
- 4.Pierce, R.S., Strybel, T.Z., Vu, K.-P.L.: Measuring situation awareness and its contribution to performance in air traffic control tasks. In: Proceedings of the 26th International Congress of the Aeronautical Sciences, Anchorage AK (2008)Google Scholar
- 5.Strybel, T.Z., Vu, K.-P.L., Kraft, J.: Assessing the Situation Awareness of Pilots Engaged in Self Spacing. In: Proceedings of the Annual Meeting of the Human Factors and Ergonomics Society, pp. 11–15. HFES, NY (2008)Google Scholar
- 6.Vu, K.-P.L., Minakata, K., Nguyen, J., Kraut, J., Raza, H., Battiste, V., Strybel, T.Z.: Situation Awareness and Performance of Student versus Experienced Air Traffic Controllers. In: Smith, M.J., Salvendy, G. (eds.) Human Interface, Part II, HCII 2009. LNCS, vol. 5618, pp. 865–874. Springer, Heidelberg (2009)Google Scholar
- 7.Prevot, T.: Exploring the many perspectives of distributed air traffic management: The multi aircraft control system MACS. In: International Conference on Human-Computer Interaction in Aeronautics, HCI-Aero 2002, October 23–25. MIT, Cambridge (2002)Google Scholar
- 8.Canton, R., Refai, M., Johnson, W.W., Battiste, V.: Development and Integration of Human-Centered Conflict Detection and Resolution Tools for Airborne Autonomous Operations. In: Proceedings of the 15th International Symposium on Aviation Psychology. Oklahoma State University, Columbus (2005)Google Scholar
- 9.Singer, J.D.: Fitting individual growth models using SAS Proc Mixed. In: Moskowitz, D.S., Hershberger, S.L. (eds.) Modeling Intraindividual Variability with Repeated Measures Data: Methods and Applications. Lawrence Erlbaum, Mahwah (2002)Google Scholar