Proactive Fault Detection Schema for Enterprise Information System Using Statistical Process Control
This paper proposes a proactive fault detection schema using adaptive statistical approaches in order to enhance system availability and reliability in the heterogeneous & complicated information system environment. The proposed system applies Six Sigma SPC (Statistical Process Control) techniques already validated in industries in order to monitor the application system in the information system. This makes it possible to reduce false alarm rates for system faults and accurately detect faults by creating a control chart based on past performance data and controlling the distribution of performance based on the chart. The early detection of faults is also enabled through a fault prediction model. Therefore, the aforementioned system not only detect unknown or unseen faults but also resolve potential problems for system administrator by detecting abnormal behaviors before faults occur. In the experiment we show the superiority of our proposed model and the possibility to early detect system faults.
KeywordsSystem management Proactive Fault detection Statistical Process Control Early Detection EWMA
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Hellerstein, J.L., Zhang, F., Shahabuddin, P.: An approach to predictive detection for service management. In: Sloman, M., Mazumdar, S., Lupu, E. (eds.) Proc. 6th IFIP/IEEE Int. Symp. Integrated Network Management (IM 1999), p. 309. IEEE Publishing, New York (1999)Google Scholar
- 3.Thottan, M., Ji, C.: Fault prediction at the network layer using intelligent agents. In: Sloman, M., Mazumdar, S., Lupu, E. (eds.) Proc. 6th IFIP/IEEE Int. Symp. Integrated Network Management (IM 1999), p. 745. IEEE Press, New York (1999)Google Scholar
- 4.Yemini, Y.: A critical survey of network management protocol standards. In: Aidarous, S., Plevyak, T. (eds.) Telecommunications Network Management into the 21st Century (1994)Google Scholar
- 6.Rouvellou, I.: Graph identification techniques applied to network management faults, Ph. D Dissertation. Columbia University (1993)Google Scholar
- 8.Garofalakis, M., Rastogi, R.: Data Mining Meets Network Management: The Nemesis Project. In: ACM SIGMOD Int’l Workshop on Research Issues in Data Mining and Knowledge Discovery (May 2001)Google Scholar
- 9.Florence, A.W.: The MITRE Corporation. CMM Level 4 Quantitative Analysis and Defect Prevention with Project Examples, 2000 Technical Papers (September 2000)Google Scholar
- 10.Radice, R.: Statistical Process Control for Software Projects (November 1997)Google Scholar
- 11.ERETEC INC., MINITAB Release 14 (November 2005)Google Scholar
- 12.NIST/SEMATECH e-Handbook of Statistical Methods: EWMA Control ChartsGoogle Scholar
- 13.Shewhart, W.A.: Statistical Method from the Viewpoint of Quality Control (1939)Google Scholar
- 15.Oakland, J.: Statistical Process Control (2002)Google Scholar