A Distributed Intelligent Monitoring System Applied to a Micro-scale Turning Process
In this paper, a distributed intelligent monitoring system for a micro-scale turning process is presented. A fuzzy model, running on a distributed architecture, helps on decision-making about the imbalance degree of the spindle in the ultra-precision diamond turning process. The suitability of a three-input/single-output fuzzy model is assessed directly on an ultra-precision lathe, verifying it effectiveness. A brief explanation of the single point diamond turning process and problems caused by the vibrations generated due to the imbalance of the spindle, are also presented. Real-time application of the fuzzy decision making, as part of a networked distributed monitoring system, assists the operator when manufacturing complex parts.
Keywordsfuzzy modeling intelligent distributed networked monitoring system ultra-precision diamond turning
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Schmittdiel, M.C., Haber, R.E., Escribano, Á., Escribano, J.: The State-Of-The-Art In Nano-Turning. In: International Manufacturing Science & Engineering, MSEC2007. ASME, Atlanta (2007)Google Scholar
- 7.Cheung, C.F., Lee, W.B.: Surface Generation in Ultra-precision Diamond Turning: Modelling and Practices. Professional Engineering Publishing Limited, London (2003)Google Scholar
- 8.Roblee, J.: Factors Affecting Surface Finish in Diamond Turning, p. 6. Precitech, Inc. (2007)Google Scholar
- 10.Thomson, A.W.: Theory of Vibration With Applications. Taylor & Francis, Abington (1996)Google Scholar
- 11.del Toro, R.M., Haber, R.E., Schmittdiel, M.C.: Procedure and system for real-time detection of unbalance in a high-precision rotary mechanism. Spain Patent 200802614 (2008); patent pendingGoogle Scholar