Biomedical Text Mining Applied to Document Retrieval and Semantic Indexing
In Biomedical research, the ability to retrieve the adequate information from the ever growing literature is an extremely important asset. This work provides an enhanced and general purpose approach to the process of document retrieval that enables the filtering of PubMed query results. The system is based on semantic indexing providing, for each set of retrieved documents, a network that links documents and relevant terms obtained by the annotation of biological entities (e.g. genes or proteins). This network provides distinct user perspectives and allows navigation over documents with similar terms and is also used to assess document relevance. A network learning procedure, based on previous work from e-mail spam filtering, is proposed, receiving as input a training set of manually classified documents.
KeywordsBiomedical Document Retrieval Document Relevance Enhanced Instance Retrieval Network Named Entity Recognition Semantic Indexing Document Network
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Hersh, W., Bhupatiraju, R.T., Ross, L., Johnson, P., Cohen, A.M., Kraemer, D.F.: TREC 2004 Genomics Track Overview. In: Proc. 13th Text Retrieval Conference (TREC), pp. 13–31 (2004)Google Scholar
- 3.Abi-Haidar, A., Kaur, J., Maguitman, A., Radivojac, P., Retchsteiner, A., Verspoor, K., et al.: Uncovering Protein-Protein Interactions in the Bibliome. Genome Biology, 247–255 (2008)Google Scholar
- 4.Sehgal, A.K., Srinivasan, P.: Retrieval with gene queries. BMC Bioinformatics 7 (April 21, 2006)Google Scholar
- 5.Wang, P., Morgan, A.A., Zhang, Q., Sette, A., Peters, B.: Automating document classification for the Immune Epitope Database. BMC Bioinformatics 8 (July 26, 2007)Google Scholar
- 8.Méndez, J.R., Glez-Peña, D., Fdez-Riverola, F., Díaz, F., Corchado, J.M.: Managing irrelevant knowledge in CBR models for unsolicited e-mail classification. Expert Systems with Applications (2008)Google Scholar
- 9.Lenz, M., Auriol, E., Manago, M.: Diagnosis and Decision Support. LNCS (LNAI), vol. 1400, pp. 51–90. Springer, Heidelberg (1998)Google Scholar
- 10.Kohavi, R.: A study of cross-validation and bootstrap for accuracy estimation and model selection. In: Proc. 14th International Joint Conference on Artificial Intelligence, pp. 1137–1143Google Scholar