A Genetic Algorithm for ANN Design, Training and Simplification
This paper proposes a new evolutionary method for generating ANNs. In this method, a simple real-number string is used to codify both architecture and weights of the networks. Therefore, a simple GA can be used to evolve ANNs. One of the most interesting features of the technique presented here is that the networks obtained have been optimised, and they have a low number of neurons and connections. This technique has been applied to solve one of the most used benchmark problems, and results show that this technique can obtain better results than other automatic ANN development techniques.
KeywordsGenetic Algorithm Genetic Programming Hide Node Hide Neuron Simple Genetic Algorithm
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Rabuñal, J.R., Dorado, J. (eds.): Artificial Neural Networks in Real-Life Applications. Idea Group Inc. (2005)Google Scholar
- 3.Rivero, D., Dorado, J., Rabuñal, J.R., Pazos, A.: Modifying genetic programming for artificial neural network development for data mining. Soft Computing - A Fusion of Foundations, Methodologies and Applications 13(3), 291–305 (2008)Google Scholar
- 5.Darwin, C.: On the Origin of Species by means of Natural Selection or the Preservation of Favoured Races in the Struggle for Life, 6th edn. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge (1864); originally published in 1859Google Scholar
- 9.Harp, S.A., Samad, T., Guha, A.: Toward the genetic synthesis of neural networks. In: Proc. 3rd Int. Conf. Genetic Algorithms and Their Applications, pp. 360–369. Morgan Kaufmann, San Mateo (1989)Google Scholar
- 11.Werbos, P.J.: The Roots of Backpropagation: From Ordered Derivatives to Neural Networks and Political Forecasting. Wiley, New York (1994)Google Scholar
- 13.Mertz, C.J., Murphy, P.M.: UCI repository of machine learning databases (2002), http://www-old.ics.uci.edu/pub/machine-learning-databases