The Scheme of Handover Performance Improvement in WiBro
Demands for a mobile communication and a high quality service such as video streaming or VoIP have been increasing in recent years. The Wireless Broadband Internet (WIBRO)system, which is specified by ETRI (Electronics and Telecommunications Research Institute) and other companies in Korea as well as IEEE 802.16e standard. The feature of this system is that the backbone networks are potentially deployed by IPv6 based technologies due to the All-IP trend. Therefore, it is important to support efficient mobility management protocol on IP layer as well as data link layer based on WiBro system. In this paper, we propose the scheme that different process according to the traffic characteristic. The performance analysis and the numerical results presented in this paper show that our proposal has superior performance.
KeywordsWiBro traffic characteristic handover MAC
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.IEEE 802.16-2004. IEEE Standard for Local and Metropolitan Area Networks. Part 16: Air Interface for Fixed Broadband Wireless Access Systems (June 24, 2004)Google Scholar
- 2.IEEE 802.16e-2005. IEEE Standard for Local and Metropolitan Area Networks - Part 16: Air Interface for Fixed and Mobile Broadband Wireless Access Systems - Amendment for Physical and Medium Access Control Layers for Combined Fixed and Mobile Operation in Licensed Bands (February 28, 2006)Google Scholar
- 3.WiMAX Forum, http://www.wimaxforum.org
- 4.Johnson, D., Perkins, C., Arrko, J.: Mobility support in IPv6, Internet Draft, IETF, draft-ietf-mobileip-ipv6-20.txt (work in progress) (January 2003)Google Scholar
- 6.Kitti, W., Aura, G.: Packet scheduling for QoS support in IEEE 802.16 broadband wireless access systems. International Journal of Communication Systems (2003)Google Scholar
- 7.IEEE, Standard for Local and metropolitan area networks Part 16: Air Interference for Fixed Broadband Wireless Access System, IEEE 802.16 (December 2001)Google Scholar
- 8.Chu, G., Wang, D., Mei, S.: A QoS architecture for the MAC protocol of IEEE 802.16 BWA system. Communications, Circuits and Systems and West Sino Expositions, IEEE (2002)Google Scholar
- 9.Hawa, M., Petr, D.W.: Quality of Service Scheduling in Cable and Broadband Wireless Access System. In: Tenth IEEE Int’l Workshop, Quality of Service (2002)Google Scholar
- 10.Shim, M., Kim, H., Lee, S.: A Fast handover Mechanism for IPv6 Based Wibro System. In: ICACT 2006, February 20-22 (2006)Google Scholar
- 11.Jeong, S., Lee, S., Park, J.: An Enhanced Fast Handover Scheme for Real-Time Traffic in IPv6 Based WiBro Network. Journal of Korea Information and Communications Society 33(4A), 377–386Google Scholar