PDETool: A Multi-formalism Modeling Tool for Discrete-Event Systems Based on SDES Description
Discrete-event systems have gained a lot of interest due to their wide range of applications. SDES is a unified description for stochastic discrete-event systems. The aim is to use this description as a basis of a new multi-formalism modeling framework. In this paper, we introduce PDETool, which is based on SDES description. This modeling tool provides features for construction and translation of models into the XML-based input language of an SDES-based simulation engine that is developed for this purpose. Currently, we have implemented some useful extensions of Petri nets, such as stochastic Petri nets (SPNs), stochastic reward nets (SRNs) and stochastic activity networks (SANs) in this framework. PDETool is easily extensible to support a wide range of graphical and non-graphical formalisms. Furthermore, it facilitates the construction, animation and simulation of models. This tool has some advantages over the existing multi-formalism modeling and simulation tools, which will be mentioned in this paper.
KeywordsStochastic discrete-event systems SDES description PDETool Petri nets
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Abdollahi Azgomi, M., Movaghar, A.: An Interchange Format for Stochastic Activity Networks Based on PNML Definition. In: Proc. of the ICATPN’04 Satellite Workshop on the Definition, Implementation and Application of a Standard Interchange Format for Petri Nets (XML4PN 2004), Italy, pp. 1–10 (2004)Google Scholar
- 2.Ciardo, G., Miner, A.S.: SMART: Simulation and Markovian analyzer for reliability and timing. In: Proc. of the 2nd Int’l Computer Performance and Dependability Symposium (IPDS 1996), p. 60 (1996)Google Scholar
- 3.Ciardo, G., Mupalla, J., Trivedi, K.S.: Analyzing Concurrent and Fault-Tolerant Software Using Stochastic Reward Nets. Journal of Parallel and Distributed Systems 15, 252–269 (1992)Google Scholar
- 4.Deavours, D.D.: Formal Specification of the Möbius Modeling Framework. Ph.D. Dissertation, University of Illinois (2001)Google Scholar
- 6.PDETool Framework Homepage, http://pdel.iust.ac.ir/Projects/PDETool.html
- 7.Sahner, R.A.: Combinatorial-Markov methods of solving performance and reliability models. Ph.D. dissertation, Duke University, Durham, North Carolina (1986)Google Scholar
- 10.Sanders, W.H.: Integrated Frameworks for Multi-Level and Multi-Formalism Modeling. In: Proc. of the 8th Int’l. Workshop on Petri Nets and Performance Models (PNPM 1999), Zaragoza, Spain (1999)Google Scholar
- 11.SimGine Homepage, http://pdel.iust.ac.ir/Projects/SimGine.html