Supervised Selective Combining Pattern Recognition Modalities and Its Application to Signature Verification by Fusing On-Line and Off-Line Kernels
We consider the problem of multi-modal pattern recognition under the assumption that a kernel-based approach is applicable within each particular modality. The Cartesian product of the linear spaces into which the respective kernels embed the output scales of single sensors is employed as an appropriate joint scale corresponding to the idea of combining modalities at the sensor level. This contrasts with the commonly adopted method of combining classifiers inferred from each specific modality. However, a significant risk in combining linear spaces is that of overfitting. To address this, we set out a stochastic method for encompassing modal-selectivity that is intrinsic to (that is to say, theoretically contiguous with) the selected kernel-based pattern-recognition approach.
The principle of kernel selectivity supervision is then applied to the problem of signature verification by fusing several on-line and off-line kernels into a complete training and verification technique.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Ross, A., Jain, A.K.: Multimodal biometrics: An overview. In: Proceedings of the 12th European Signal Processing Conference (EUSIPCO), Vienna, Austria, pp. 1221–1224 (2004)Google Scholar
- 3.Sonnenburg, S., Rätsch, G., Schäfer, C.: A general and efficient multiple kernel learning algorithm. In: Proceedings of the 19th Annual Conference on Neural Information Processing Systems, Vancouver, Canada, December 5-8 (2005)Google Scholar
- 4.Sulimova, V., Mottl, V., Tatarchuk, A.: Multi-kernel approach to on-line signature verification. In: Proceedings of the 8th IASTED International Conference on Signal and Image Processing, Honolulu, Hawaii, USA, August 14-16 (2006)Google Scholar
- 6.Guyon, I.M., Gunn, S.R., Nikravesh, M., Zadeh, L. (eds.): Feature Extraction, Foundations and Applications. Springer, Heidelberg (2006)Google Scholar
- 7.Li, J., Zha, H.: Simultaneous classification and feature clustering using discriminant vector quantization with applications to microarray data analysis. In: Proceedings of the IEEE Computer Society Bioinformatics Conference, Palo Alto, CA, August 14-16, pp. 246–255 (2002)Google Scholar
- 9.Tatarchuk, A., Mottl, V., Eliseyev, A., Windridge, D.: Selectivity supervision in combining pattern-recognition modalities by feature- and kernel-selective Support Vector Machines. In: Proceedings of the 19th International Conference on Pattern Recognition, Tampa, USA, December 8-11 (2008)Google Scholar
- 10.Mottl, V., Lange, M., Sulimova, V., Ermakov, A.: Signature verification based on fusion of on-line and off-line kernels. In: Proceedings of the 19th International Conference on Pattern Recognition, Tampa, USA, December 8-11 (2008)Google Scholar
- 12.SVC 2004: First International Signature Verification Competition, http://www.cs.ust.hk/svc2004/index.html