A New Approach in Metal Artifact Reduction for CT 3D Reconstruction
The 3D representation of CT scans is widely used in medical application such as virtual endoscopy, plastic reconstructive surgery, dental implant planning systems and more. Metallic objects present in CT studies cause strong artifacts like beam hardening and streaking, what difficult to a large extent the 3D reconstruction. Previous works in this field use projection data in different ways with the aim of artifact reduction. But in DICOM-based applications this information is not available, thus the need for a new point of view regarding this issue. Our aim is to present an exhaustive study of the state of the art and to evaluate a new approach based in mathematical morphology in polar domain in order to reduce the noise but preserving dental structures, valid for real-time applications.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Rohlfing, T., Zerfowski, D., Beier, J., Hosten, N., Wust, P., Felix, R.: Reduction of metal artifacts in computed tomographies for planning and simulation of radiation therapy. Computer Assisted Radiology and Surgery, 57–62 (1998)Google Scholar
- 5.Shiying, Z., Kyongtae, T., Whiting, B., Wang, G.: A wavelet method for metal artifact reduction with multiple metalic objects in the field of view. Journal of X-Ray Science and Technology 10, 67–76 (2002)Google Scholar
- 6.Tognola, G., Parazzini, M., Pedretti, G., Ravazzani, P., Grandori, F., Pesatori, A., Norgia, M., Svelto, C.: Novel 3D reconstruction method for mandibular distraction planning. In: International Workshop on Imaging Systems and Techniques, pp. 82–85 (2006)Google Scholar
- 9.Murphy, R., Snyder, D., Politte, D., O’Sullivan, J.: A sieve-regularized image reconstruction algorithm with pose search in transmission tomography. In: SPIE Medical Imaging 2003: Image Processing conference (2003)Google Scholar
- 10.Naranjo, V., Albiol, A., Mossi, J., Albiol, A.: Morphological lambda-reconstruction applied to restoration of blotches in old films. In: 4th IASTED International Conference on Visualisation, Imaging and Image Processing (2004)Google Scholar