Virtual Reality for Consensus Building: Case Studies
This demonstration presents a real-time virtual reality (VR) system that has primarily been used as a tool for simulating and negotiating transportation-related designs. Visualization creation and presentation methods are briefly described. Case studies include applications to infrastructure, traffic, and environmental planning, as well as evacuation analysis. An emphasis is placed on using VR as a tool for translating technical information to non-experts and, ideally, enabling members of the public to better participate in decision making.
KeywordsVR transportation visualization real-time simulation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Steuer, J.: Defining Virtual Reality: Dimensions Determining Telepresence. In: Biocca, F., Levy, M.R. (eds.) Communication in the Age of Virtual Reality, pp. 33–56. Lawrence Erlbaum Associates, Philadelphia (1995)Google Scholar
- 2.Hughes, R.: Visualization in Transportation: Current Practice and Future Directions. Transportation Research Record: Journal of the Transportation Research Board 1899, 167–174 (2004)Google Scholar
- 3.FORUM8 Co., Ltd., UC-win/Road (3/20/2009), http://www.forum8.com/
- 4.Arizona State University, College of Design, Digital Phoenix Project by UC-win/Road III (2009), http://www.digitalphoenix-asu.net/dp/
- 5.Metropolitan Expressway Company Limited, Kanagawa Construction Bureau, Simulation Carried Out at the Daishi Junction and Ventilation Place (2007) (in Japanese)Google Scholar
- 6.Osaka University, Graduate School of Engineering, Division of Sustainable Energy and Environmental Engineering, Sakai City Oshoji LRT Project VR Data (2009) (in Japanese)Google Scholar
- 7.Haihe River Water Conservation Commission, Ministry of Water Resources (China), 3D Exhibition of North Grand Canal Ecological Rehabilitation (2008) (in Chinese)Google Scholar
- 8.University of Greenwich, School of Computing and Mathematical Sciences, Fire Safety Engineering Group, EXODUS (3/20/2009), http://fseg.gre.ac.uk/
- 9.Nepoch Consultants, Qingdao JiaoZhou Bay Tunnel Project (2008) (in Chinese)Google Scholar
- 10.Taisei Engineering Co. Ltd., Simulation of an Evacuation in an Aging Society using 3D VR (2009) (in Japanese)Google Scholar