Heuristic-Search-Based Light Positioning According to Irradiance Intervals
We present a strategy to solve the problem of light positioning in a closed environment. We aim at obtaining, for a global illumination radiosity solution, the position and emission power for a given number of lights that provide a desired illumination at a minimum total emission power. Such a desired illumination is expressed using minimum and/or maximum values of irradiance allowed. A pre-process is needed in which irradiance is computed for a pre-established set of light positions by means of a random walk. The reuse of paths makes this pre-process reasonably cheap. Different heuristic-search strategies are explored and compared in our work, which, combined to linear programming, make it possible to efficiently visit the search space and, in most cases, obtain a good solution at a reasonable cost.
KeywordsLight positioning heuristic search irradiance reuse of paths random walk
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [Bek99]Bekaert, P.: Hierarchical and stochastic algorithms for radiosity. Ph.D. Thesis. Catholic Univ. of Leuven (1999)Google Scholar
- [CW93]Cohen, M., Wallace, J.: Radiosity and Realistic Image Synthesis. Academic Press Professional, London (1993)Google Scholar
- [DRC08]Delepoulle, S., Renaud, C., Chelle, M.: Improving light position in a growth chamber through the use of a genetic algorithm. In: Artificial Intelligence Techniques for Computer Graphics, vol. 159, pp. 67–82 (2008)Google Scholar
- [ER97]Elorza, J., Rudomin, I.: An interactive system for solving inverse illumination problems using genetic algorithms. Computation Visual (1997)Google Scholar
- [FA05]Ferentinos, K.P., Albright, L.D.: Optimal design of plant lighting system by genetic algorithms. Eng. Applications of Artificial Intelligence (2005)Google Scholar
- [Gum02]Gumhold, S.: Maximum entropy light souce placement. IEEE Visual (2002)Google Scholar
- [JPP02]Jolivet, V., Plemenos, D., Poulingeas, P.: Inverse direct lighting with a monte carlo method and declarative modelling. In: Sloot, P.M.A., Tan, C.J.K., Dongarra, J., Hoekstra, A.G. (eds.) ICCS-ComputSci 2002. LNCS, vol. 2330, pp. 3–12. Springer, Heidelberg (2002)Google Scholar
- [KPC93]Kawai, J.K., Painter, J.S., Cohen, M.F.: Radioptimization: goal based rendering. Computer Graphics 27, 147–154 (1993) (Annual Conf. Series)Google Scholar
- [MAB+97]Marks, J., Andalman, B., Beardsley, P.A., Freeman, W., Gibson, S., Hodgins, J., Kang, T., Mirtich, B., Pfister, H., Ruml, W., Ryall, K., Seims, J., Shieber, S.: Design galleries: A general approach to setting parameters for cg and animation. In: Proc. of SIGGRAPH 1997, pp. 389–400 (1997)Google Scholar
- [PBMF07]Pellacini, F., Battaglia, F., Morley, K., Finkelstein, A.: Lighting with paint. ACM Transactions on Graphics 26(2), Article 9 (June 2007)Google Scholar
- [SCH04]Sbert, M., Castro, F., Halton, J.H.: Reuse of paths in light source animation. In: Proceedings of CGI 2004, Crete, Greece (2004)Google Scholar