A Framework for Creating and Using Maps of Privately Owned Spaces
The Facility Map Framework (FMF) is a new system of specifications and software for maps of privately owned spaces – campus, building, room detail, and shelf or rack. Based on a generic object model, FMF supports map authoring from CAD or other drawings, asset databases and location sensor systems, map access through browsers or applications, and development of application programs. FMF can integrate existing system components to support interoperability and extensibility, and has features to address a number of additional engineering problems in location systems for private spaces. FMF is a work in progress, with many key elements implemented and others currently under design. Several demos are now in place, representing a variety of different scenarios for using indoor maps. This paper gives an overview of the system components and a number of the engineering challenges and solutions; it represents a progress report on this evolving project.
KeywordsIndoor maps Indoor location Floorplans Location-Awareness
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Building Information Spatial Data Model committee, http://bisdm.org
- 4.The Green Building XML Schema gbXML, http://www.gbxml.org
- 8.Papataxiarhis, V., Riga, V., Nomikos, V., Sekkas, O., Kolomvatsos, K., Tsetsos, V., Papageorgas, P., Vourakis, S., Xouris, V., Hadjiefthymiades, S., Kouroupetroglou, G.: MNISIKLIS: Indoor Location Based Services for All. In: Gartner, G., Rehrl, K. (eds.) Location Based Services and TeleCartography II From Sensor Fusion to Context Models. Lecture Notes in Geoinformation and Cartography, pp. 26–282. Springer, Heidelberg (2009)Google Scholar
- 9.Protoytpe-based Programming at Wikipedia, Wikimedia Foundation, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prototype-based_programming
- 10.Simple Object Access Protocol, http://www.w3.org/TR/soap/
- 12.Global Location Numbers (GLN), GS1, http://www.gs1.org/docs/idkeys/GS1_Global_Location_Numbers.pdf
- 13.Unified Approach for Measuring Office Space; For Use in Facility and Property Management. Building Owners and Managers Association (BOMA) International, http://www.boma.org
- 14.Industrial Floor Measurement Standard 2004, Building Owners and Managers Association (BOMA) International (2004), http://www.boma.org
- 15.Microsoft Tag, http://www.microsoft.com/tag/