JACEP2P-V2: A Fully Decentralized and Fault Tolerant Environment for Executing Parallel Iterative Asynchronous Applications on Volatile Distributed Architectures
This article presents JACEP2P-V2, a Java environment dedicated to designing parallel iterative asynchronous algorithms (with direct communications between nodes) and executing them on global computing architectures or distributed clusters composed by a large number of volatile heterogeneous distant computing nodes. This platform is fault tolerant, multi-threaded and completely decentralized. In this paper, we describe the different components of JACEP2P-V2 and the various mechanisms used for scalability and fault tolerance purposes. We also evaluate the performance of this platform and we compare it to JACEP2P by implementing a parallel iterative asynchronous application and by executing it on a volatile distributed architecture using both platforms.
KeywordsDecentralized global Convergence Peer-to-Peer architectures Distributed clusters Parallel iterative asynchronous algorithms
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Saad, Y.: Iterative Methods for Sparse Linear Systems. PWS publishing (1996)Google Scholar
- 3.Bahi, J., Couturier, R., Vuillemin, P.: JACEP2P: an environment for asynchronous computations on peer-to-peer networks. In: Cluster 2006, pp. 1–10 (2006)Google Scholar
- 4.grid 5000, http://grid5000.fr
- 5.Seti@home, http://www.setiathome.berkeley.edu/
- 6.Cappello, F., Djilali, S., Fedak, G., Herault, T., Magniette, F., Néri, V., Lodygensky, O.: Computing on large-scale distributed systems: XtremWeb architecture, programming models, security, tests and convergence with grid. Future Generation Computer Systems 21(3), 417–437 (2005)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 8.JXTA, http://www.jxta.org/
- 9.ProActive, http://www.proactive.inria.fr/
- 10.Cao, G., Singhal, M.: On coordinated checkpointing in distributed systems. IEEE Transactions on PDS-9 (12), 1213–1225 (1998)Google Scholar
- 11.Bahi, J., Domas, S., Mazouzi, K.: Jace: a java environment for distributed asynchronous iterative computations. In: PDP 2004, Spain, February 2004, pp. 350–357 (2004)Google Scholar
- 12.Plank, J.S., Beck, M., Kingsley, G., Li, K.: Libckpt: Transparent checkpointing under UNIX. In: USENIX Winter, pp. 213–224 (1995)Google Scholar
- 13.Charr, J.C., Couturier, R., Laiymani, D.: A decentralized convergence detection algorithm for asynchronous iterative algorithms in volatile environments (submitted, 2008)Google Scholar