Bicriteria Service Scheduling with Dynamic Instantiation for Workflow Execution on Grids
Nowadays the grid is turning into a service-oriented environment. In this context, there exist solutions to the execution of workflows and most of them are web-service based. Additionally, services are considered to exist on a fixed host, limiting the resource alternatives when scheduling the workflow tasks. In this paper we address the problem of dynamic instantiation of grid services to schedule workflow applications. We propose an algorithm to select the best resources available to execute each task of the workflow on the already instantiated services or on services dynamically instantiated when necessary. The algorithm relies on the existence of a grid infrastructure which could provide dynamic service instantiation. Simulation results show that the scheduling algorithm associated with the dynamic service instantiation can bring more efficient workflow execution on the grid.
KeywordsExecution Time Directed Acyclic Graph Critical Path Grid Service Good Resource
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Forum, G.G.: Open grid service architecture, version 1.0 (2002), http://www.gridforum.org/documents/gwd-i-e/gfd-i.030.pdf
- 3.Dasgupta, G.B., Viswanathan, B.: Inform: integrated flow orchestration and meta-scheduling for managed grid systems. In: Middleware 2007: Proceedings of the 8th ACM/IFIP/USENIX international conference on Middleware, Newport Beach, California, USA, pp. 1–20 (2007)Google Scholar
- 8.Senna, C.R., Madeira, E.R.M.: A middleware for instrument and service orchestration in computational grids. In: Seventh IEEE International Symposium on Cluster Computing and the Grid (CCGRID 2007), Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. IEEE Computer Society Press, Los Alamitos (2007)Google Scholar
- 13.Canon, L.C., Jeannot, E.: Scheduling strategies for the bicriteria optimization of the robustness and makespan. In: 11th International Workshop on Nature Inspired Distributed Computing (NIDISC 2008), Miami, Florida, USA (April 2008)Google Scholar
- 16.Qi, L., Jin, H., Foster, I.T., Gawor, J.: Hand: Highly available dynamic deployment infrastructure for globus toolkit 4. In: 15th Euromicro IPDP, Naples, Italy, pp. 155–162. IEEE Computer Society, Los Alamitos (2007)Google Scholar