The Grand Challenge of Scalability for Model Driven Engineering
Scalability is particularly important for the adoption of Model Driven Engineering (MDE) in an industrial context. The current focus of research in MDE is on declarative languages for model management, and scalable mechanisms for persisting models (e.g., using databases). In this paper we claim that, instead, modularity and encapsulation in modelling languages should be the main focus. We justify this claim by demonstrating how these two principles apply to a related domain – code development – where the issue of scalability has been addressed to a much greater extent than in MDE.
KeywordsModelling Language Model Transformation Grand Challenge Code Development Eclipse Modelling Framework
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Warmer, J., Kleppe, A.: Building a Flexible Software Factory Using Partial Domain Specific Models. In: Proc. 6th OOPSLA Workshop on Domain-Specific Modeling, Portland, Oregon, USA (October 2006)Google Scholar
- 2.Eclipse Foundation. Eclipse Modelling Framework, http://www.eclipse.org/emf
- 3.Eclipse Foundation. Teneo (2008), http://www.eclipse.org/modeling/emft/?project=teneo
- 4.Eclipse Foundation. CDO (2008), http://www.eclipse.org/modeling/emft/?project=cdo
- 7.Giese, H., Wagner, R.: From model transformation to incremental bidirectional model synchronization. Software and Systems Modeling, 1619–1374 (March 2008)Google Scholar
- 8.Eclipse Foundation. EMF Compare (2008), http://www.eclipse.org/modeling/emft/?project=compare
- 9.Eclipse GMF - Graphical Modeling Framework, Official Web-Site, http://www.eclipse.org/gmf
- 10.Kolovos, D.S., Paige, R.F., Polack, F.A.C.: Detecting and Repairing Inconsistencies Across Heterogeneous Models. In: Proc. 1st IEEE International Conference on Software Testing, Verification and Validation, Lillehammer, Norway, pp. 356–364 (April 2008)Google Scholar
- 11.Extensible Platform for Specification of Integrated Languages for mOdel maNage- ment (Epsilon), http://www.eclipse.org/gmt/epsilon