Automated Detection of Load Changes in Large-Scale Networks
This paper presents a new online algorithm for automated detection of load changes, which provides statistical evidence of stationary changes in traffic load. To this end, we perform continuous measurements of the link load, then look for clusters in the dataset and finally apply the Behrens-Fisher hypothesis testing methodology. The algorithm serves to identify which links deviate from the typical load behavior. The rest of the links are considered normal and no intervention of the network manager is required. Due to the automated selection of abnormal links, the Operations Expenditure (OPEX) is reduced. The algorithm has been applied to a set of links in the Spanish National Research and Education Network (RedIRIS) showing good results.
KeywordsLoad change capacity planning Behrens-Fisher problem
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Roberts, L.G.: Beyond moore’s law: Internet growth trends. Computer (2000)Google Scholar
- 3.Odlyzko, A.M.: Internet traffic growth: sources and implications. In: Proceedings of SPIE, vol. 5247, pp. 1–15 (2003)Google Scholar
- 7.Fraleigh, C., Tobagi, F., Diot, C.: Provisioning IP backbone networks to support latency sensitive traffic. In: Twenty-Second Annual Joint Conference of the IEEE Computer and Communications Societies, INFOCOM 2003, vol. 1 (2003)Google Scholar
- 9.Kyriakopoulos, K.G., Parish, D.J.: Automated detection of changes in computer network measurements using wavelets. In: Proceedings of 16th International Conference on Computer Communications and Networks (ICCCN), pp. 1223–1227 (2007)Google Scholar
- 11.Oetiker, T., Rand, D.: MRTG-The Multi Router Traffic Grapher. In: Proceedings of the 12th USENIX conference on System administration, pp. 141–148 (1998)Google Scholar
- 12.Kilpi, J., Norros, I.: Testing the Gaussian approximation of aggregate traffic. In: Proceedings of the 2nd ACM SIGCOMM Workshop on Internet measurment, pp. 49–61 (2002)Google Scholar
- 13.van de Meent, R., Mandjes, M.R.H., Pras, A.: Gaussian traffic everywhere? In: Proceedings of IEEE International Conference on Communications (ICC), Istanbul, Turkey, vol. 2, pp. 573–578 (2006)Google Scholar
- 15.Anderson, T.W., Wilbur, T.: An introduction to multivariate statistical analysis. Wiley, New York (1958)Google Scholar
- 16.Johnson, R.A., Wichern, D.W.: Applied multivariate statistical analysis. Prentice-Hall International Editions (1992)Google Scholar