Realistic Passive Packet Loss Measurement for High-Speed Networks
Realistic and accurate packet loss measurement of production traffic has been challenging, since the frequently-used active monitoring approaches using probe packets cannot capture the packet loss experienced by the traffic of individual user applications. In this paper, we present a new approach for the accurate measurement of the packet loss rate faced by actual production traffic based on passive network monitoring. In contrast to previous work, our method is able to pinpoint the packet loss rate experienced by the individual traffic flows of concurrently running applications. Experimental results suggest that our approach measures packet loss with 100% accuracy for network speeds as high as 12 Gbit/s, while traditional ICMP-based approaches were usually much less accurate. We also report experiences from a real-world deployment of our method in several 10 Gbit/s links of European research networks, where it has been successfully operational for several months.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Hades active delay evaluation system, http://www-win.rrze.uni-erlangen.de/ippm/hades.html.en
- 2.Adamns, A., Mahdavi, J., Mathis, M., Paxson, V.: Creating a scalable architecture for internet measurement. In: Proceedings of INET (1998)Google Scholar
- 3.Adamson, B.: The MGEN Toolset, http://pf.itd.nrl.navy.mil/mgen
- 4.Benko, P., Veres, A.: A Passive Method for Estimating End-to-End TCP Packet Loss. In: Proceedings of IEEE Globecom, pp. 2609–2613 (2002)Google Scholar
- 5.Bradner, S., McQuaid, J.: Benchmarking Methodology for Network Interconnect Devices. RFC 2544 (Informational) (March 1999), http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2544.txt
- 6.Hemminger, S.: Network Emulation with NetEm. In: Proceedings of Linux Conf. Au. (2005)Google Scholar
- 7.Holleczeck, T.: Statistical analysis of IP performance metric in international research and educational networks (diploma thesis) (2008)Google Scholar
- 8.Ohta, S., Miyazaki, T.: Passive packet loss monitoring that employs the hash-based identification technique. In: Ninth IFIP/IEEE International Symposium on Integrated Network Management (IM) (2005)Google Scholar
- 9.Papadogiannakis, A., Kapravelos, A., Polychronakis, M., Markatos, E.P., Ciuffoletti, A.: Passive end-to-end packet loss estimation for grid traffic monitoring. In: Proceedings of the CoreGRID Integration Workshop, pp. 79–93 (2006)Google Scholar
- 10.Savage, S.: Sting: A TCP-based network measurement tool. In: USENIX Symposium on Internet Technologies and Systems, USITS (1999)Google Scholar
- 11.Sommers, J., Barford, P., Duffield, N., Ron, A.: Improving accuracy in end-to-end packet loss measurement. In: Proceedings of the ACM SIGCOMM 2005, pp. 157–168 (2005)Google Scholar
- 12.Ubik, S., Smotlacha, V., Trocha, S., Leinen, S., Jeliazkov, V., Friedl, A., Kramer, G.: Report on passive monitoring pilot, Deliverable MS.3.7.5 GN2 Project (September 2008)Google Scholar
- 13.Ubik, S., Friedl, A., Hotmar, S.: Quantification of traffic burstiness with mapi middleware (September 2008)Google Scholar