Contact Processes and Moment Closure on Adaptive Networks
Contact processes describe the transmission of distinct properties of nodes via the links of a network. They provide a simple framework for many phenomena, such as epidemic spreading and opinion formation. Combining contact processes with rules for topological evolution yields an adaptive network in which the states of the nodes can interact dynamically with the topological degrees of freedom. By moment-closure approximation it is possible to derive low-dimensional systems of ordinary differential equations that describe the dynamics of the adaptive network on a coarse-grained level. In this chapter we discuss the approximation technique itself as well as its applications to adaptive networks. Thus, it can serve both as a tutorial as well as a review of recent results.
KeywordsOpinion Formation Epidemic Model Social Adjustment Contact Process Giant Component
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 5.Gargiulo, F., Mazzoni, A.: Can extremism guarantee pluralism? arXiv:0803.3879 (2008)Google Scholar
- 7.Grabowsi, A., Kosiński, R.A.: Evolution of a social network: The role of cultural diversity. Phys. Rev. E 73, 0161351–7 (2006)Google Scholar
- 8.Gross, T.: The interplay of network state and topology in epidemic dynamics. In: Boccaletti, S., Latora, V., Moreno, Y. (Eds.) Handbook of Biological Networks. World Scientific, Singapore, to appear in 2009Google Scholar
- 12.Holme, P., Newman, M.E.J.: Nonequilibrium phase transition in the coevolution of networks and opinions. Phys. Rev. E 74, 0561081–5 (2007)Google Scholar
- 19.Peyrard, N., Dieckmann, U., Franc, A.: Long-range correlations improve understanding of the influence of network structure on contact dynamics. Theor. Popul. Bio. 73, 383–94 (2008)Google Scholar
- 20.Risau-Gusmán , S., Zanette, D.H.: Contact switching as a control strategy for epidemic outbreaks. arXiv:0806.1872 (2008)Google Scholar
- 23.Zanette, D.H.: Coevolution of agents and networks in an epidemiological model. arXiv:0707.1249 (2007)Google Scholar
- 25.Zanette, D.H., Risau-Gusmán , S.: Infection spreading in a population with evolving contacts. J. Biol. Phys. (2008) doi: 10.1007/s1086700890609Google Scholar